Data and Analytics assistant at Association of British Insurers

City of London Central London and City
Auditing/Tax Business Analytics Business Intelligence Customer Service Insurance Public Relations Publishing

8.7/10

We're looking for two Data and Analytics Assistants to join us for their sandwich placement year. With us you won't just observe; you'll be liaising with our member firms to collect data and gain insight to help form the basis of our analysis, aggregating data and assisting with presenting this data in an innovative and engaging way, and you will also participate in the running of various conferences and events. You'll also have the opportunity to study towards a professional insurance qualification during your placement year. If you're numerical and love working with data, this is the perfect internship to get you real-world, meaningful experience that will provide you with lots of great experience on your CV. To find out more from some of our previous interns, have a read of an interview we did with them: Please note this is a 12-month fixed term contract and is being offered as a sandwich placement starting in Summer 2020. Your role: During your time with us, you will:
Work with Data & Analytics Advisers to assist in the quarterly and annual collection of statistics on general and life insurance as well as other ad-hoc data collections ensuring that work is completed accurately and within the agreed deadlines.
Commission data requests to ABI members, chase outstanding requests, quality assure data supplied and resolve data concerns with members, aggregate data and produce results for inclusion in statistical publications.
Liaise with member companies to gain an insight into trends shown in the data we collect.
Support the production, presentation and dissemination of analysis in areas of interest to enhance the ABI's and members' understanding of these issues and enable the ABI to be more effective in its interactions with companies, government and other stakeholders.
Participate in the running of the Statistics Helpdesk and help run the Statistical Subscription Service.
Ensure statistical information on the ABI website is up to date, relevant and well presented. We're looking for: You'll currently be a student studying a sandwich degree with numerical focus such as Mathematics, Statistics or Economics, or have an element of these in your course. It is essential that you are a capable user of Microsoft Excel and as part of the interview process, we will ask you to complete an Excel task. The minimum requirements for the role are:
Currently studying a numerate degree containing significant elements of Mathematics, Statistics or Economics - with demonstrable numerical reasoning skills.
Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and some knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
Demonstrable experience of data analysis and interpretation - either in studies or at work.
High level of attention to detail and accuracy;
Fluent written and spoken English;
Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
Creative thinking with a curious, inquisitive nature;
Proactive and self-motivated;
An ability to work collaboratively and to contribute to the wider work of the ABI; a premium is placed on an open and friendly personality. Throughout the interview and assessment process, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the ABI's values; We are Brave; We take Ownership; We are Appreciative; We are Human and We are Curious. For more information about what these mean to us, please visit: Where can this role take you? With a collaborative environment, the fantastic exposure you have to people and leaders in the industry and the knowledge you'll build on a range of regulatory and policy issues, the ABI is a great place to advance your career. What training and benefits are offered? On your first day you'll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You'll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on an introduction to insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events. Additional training will be tailored to your own personal needs and aspirations and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.

I had an absolutely fantastic year as a data and analytics assistant for the ABI. My team was good fun to work alongside and I had a fantastic manager who consistently ensured I was able to achieve my personal development objectives throughout the year. The job itself was stimulating - there was a good level of variety with numerical analysis, presenting to other data teams (if desired), communication with ABI members in events and discussions, and report writing on contemporary industry trends. The best selling point of the job was the fact that you could very easily go beyond the standard expected, and tackle objectives with a high degree of autonomy.

During my time at the ABI I found my work colleagues to be extremely affable and happy to converse (especially by the coffee machine!). Though the data team itself functions in a relatively autonomous manner within the association it is also relied on for information by the other departments, so there is plenty of opportunity to engage with other colleagues if you want to. There are also a few clubs within the association (choir, running club) as well as socials which mean you have an opportunity to get to know almost everyone!

My management was easily one of the highlights of my time at the ABI. Though my manager was relatively new to direct management it meant that he took it extremely seriously, putting in many hours into ensuring myself and the other data placement student were making the most of our time there. Bi-weekly catch-ups were the norm, but my manager was more than happy to have a coffee or discuss anything if I asked.

Given the quarterly / annual nature of each data collection I worked on, workload wasn't the same throughout the year. There was always something to do, and through choosing to work towards the CII-accredited Certificate in Insurance I was able to increase my workload during relatively quiet times. On the contrary, there were a few pinch points throughout the year which were challenging (but possible) to deliver to. Towards the end of my placement I found myself to be extremely busy, which could be stressful, but my manager and team were at hand to provide assistance when asked.

This placement provides a fantastic level of responsibility, especially to data assistants. I authored quarterly reports read by actors across the insurance industry which regularly featured in the news (for example see 2019 summer subsidence claims, BBC). I was also given the opportunity to present my findings a number of times to stakeholders either within the ABI or from key ABI member data teams.

Whether I continue my career within the insurance sector or not, my placement at the ABI provided me with some invaluable skills. I learned a number of analytical skills which I was able to regularly practice, while also developing communication skills over the phone and through presentations. I now hold the CII certificate in insurance, which would be invaluable in facilitating a career within insurance, and also have an extremely valuable insight into my own work strengths, weaknesses, interests and dislikes.

The ABI has a relatively formal environment, but because of its size it was possible to make an impact on the atmosphere. For me, my slightly less formal attitude to the workplace was not disapproved of, instead helping me to build rapport with many office colleagues. I found I would get out what I put in.

This placement was excellently set up. Though not quite paralleling the development framework of more senior work colleagues, my manager ensured the placement was continuously challenging me. I was able to perform a number of tasks which kept the job interesting while giving me responsibility and developing a number of different skillsets.

I was able to work towards and achieve the CII certificate in Insurance during my placement year. I know this qualification costs approximately £1000 to undertake, but the ABI covered all costs including examination sittings. I was also able to attend workshops on facilitating and presenting which taught me invaluable skills. This was on top of the flexible personal development framework my manager was consistently helping me make the most of.

Very little room for progress within the organisation, better if willing to change departments.

The ABI has a relatively high turnover rate so I can't confirm whether the social scene is still decent, however during my placement I had a number of colleagues who went to the pub every Friday and there were a number of opportunities to socialise outside of the ABI if wanted.

London is expensive and there's no way around it! Accommodation was the key expense, alongside travel (together they came to just over £10,000 for the year). Socialising was also relatively expensive, however the salary was sufficient to make London life relatively comfortable. Also pizza union is an absolute steal for a pizza joint in the middle of London and there's a spoons nearby so you can socialise on the cheap if you want!

London has a big but expensive nightlife. I've been to better clubs and the bars cost a fortune but there were plenty of places to go out.

London is packed with different activities if you can find them - I regularly trained at athletics outside of work alongside salsa and climbing.