Project Management Intern in the THG Translation Team at Language Connect

Placement (5-9 Months)
Administration/Secretarial Languages Recruitment

6.3/10

2.8

- Working on a translation project of approximately 1 million words to translate from English into Chinese, supervising the team of linguists to make sure they follow necessary style guides, instructions and deadlines.

- Supporting senior project managers and ensure weekly delivery targets are met and projects progress at the required pace.

- Ensuring that each linguist is appropriately paid for their work while also remaining under budget and meeting profit margins where necessary.

- Supporting the recruitment of linguists for the project, having successfully recruited 15-20 linguists after guiding them through the on-boarding process and negotiating terms and conditions with them.

- Working on small projects for individual translation clients, having successfully delivered 3 translation projects and 1 transcription project so far, meeting all required deadlines and budgets.

I enjoyed the internship and working within my team. It was a very supportive environment and I was able to get along really well with my co-workers. I enjoyed the tasks that I was responsible for, especially being fully in charge of a project of around 1 million words. I had a good experience.

The team that I was in was very supportive and we all worked together efficiently. We had weekly meetings where everyone gave updates on what they were doing, and it was also an opportunity to recognise people who were helping out, or were doing an outstanding job. The team and the people were the best part of the internship.

Training was quite good in the beginning of the internship, but once things got busy there was not much of a chance to practice things. so when it came to actually doing them there were a few hiccups.

We were working on a very big project for most of the internship, so I was pretty busy with the constant management of the project, and then later on with recruitment of linguists on top of managing projects for individual clients at times.

I was given quite a lot of responsibility, working on a big project with quite a tight deadline and limited availability of linguists. I was also doing a lot of recruitment, which involved quite a lot of responsibility since I had to make sure I was only recruiting people who were reliable and would do a good job on the project, rather than waste the time of PMs.

The internship has helped me develop a lot of professional skills, such as being able to prioritise tasks, managing my time, being organised etc and these skills are useful in any situation.

The atmosphere is quite relaxed and laid back, so as long as everyone is doing their job, they can be left to their own devices. There is no strict dress code, no strict lunch hours or anything like that, so it's quite a chill place to work in. Everyone is friendly and nice as well. The facilities are not great though (small kitchen, toilets and hallways with no windows so it's always kind of smelly in those areas)

It was well organised, nothing major to comment on in this regard.

They trained me for the job, but other than that not much else.

• There were no perks with this Placement

Many interns (such as myself) end up staying on for a permanent position within the company, which is great.

There were a few nights out and opportunities to socialise with co-workers. There was also a summer party, and there will be a Christmas party which is nice.

Very high (it is London after all). Considering that I was paid less than the national minimum wage, there were many times where I was unable to attend social gatherings because I wasn't able to afford them,

This isn't something I'm interested in so I wouldn't know.

Not company related (other than the social gatherings that were organised)