Supported the team with the running of early phase drug development clinical trials.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my work placement very much. I already had some previous experience in clinical research but this internship offered an insight from a different angle. i was able to become familiar with the organisation, how it works, what the different departments are withing the organisation and learn more about the role i was carrying out. Also being on the internship programme meant i had some career development related workshops which were very helpful.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very welcoming and friendly towards me. They organised a team lunch for me where where i was introduced to the team in a more informal way and got to know everyone. I had regular catch ups with my manger and other members of the team which made me feel valued. I was also given work with high importance which also made me feel valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was very well supported during the duration of my placement. I had a couple of different supportive members. Firstly, my manager was very supportive, she set up weekly catch-up meetings where we discussed my progress, development and she regularly asked about how my experience was going. I also had two team members who were training me which i found extremely helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning of the placement (first couple of weeks) i did not have a lot to do. I was mainly reading around the department, understanding how they operate, and reading SOP's. As my placement progressed I was given more tasks to complete and gradually became more busy and started to attend more meeting and got more work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given more responsibility as my placement progressed. As i was working in the clinical drug development department a lot of the work i did was confidential and of high importance so i would say the tasks i was given held high responsibility. As the intern cohort we also had to organise fundraising events which also came with a sense of responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
the skills i have developed will definitely help me when applying for similar roles as i now have industry specific work experience and training. For example while i was here i completed GCP training which is applicable to most jobs within the clinical research industry. The skills i gained will be transferable to many jobs: team work, attention to detail, managing a heavy work load, communication.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the atmosphere in the office is very nice, people are genuinely very friendly and always happy to help. It is generally a pretty relaxed environment. many teams have lunch together and the environment is very inclusive to new members too. there are department meetings with the director which help you feel connected to the seniors.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
CRUKs internship is set up very well in my opinion. As you a hired with a group of other interns it is nice to be doing the internship together. Also this programme includes both career development as well as personal development. You not only carry out the role you applied for but also have a number of career development workshops and the opportunity to get involved in fundraising projects.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Also this programme includes both career development as well as personal development. You not only carry out the role you applied for but also have a number of career development workshops and the opportunity to get involved in fundraising projects.
we had workshops such as: interviewing skills, project management, and directorate presentations. Career development training was also provided.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. Since i have now got an insight into the working life here and what the role i am currently doing involves i would love to stay on/ apply for positions in the future. the recruitment team are very supportive with applications and helping to apply for roles and preparing for internal interviews.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
This internship gave us the opportunity to work on fundraising projects of our choice as a group of interns while we were here. This was very enjoyable and created a nice balance between the job and other activities. it was a very rewarding experience and i liked that we were encouraged to carry out these tasks along with my normal work related tasks.