1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of my time. The team were very accommodating and allowed me a lot of scope to try new things as well as taking me under their wing and progressing me as an individual.
I have learnt plenty and had regular review sessions to ensure I am on track.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very. They trusted me to do my work and left me to it. Asked about my work load and gave me more to do if I needed it. When going out on site I was included on trips as well as high level meetings.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Monthly reviews as well as fortnightly writing meeting with colleagues. If I didn't understand something I wasn't afraid to ask for help and help was given to me. I was encouraged to try new things and have no fear!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My daily workload was manageable. I had days where I had a lot to get on with and other days where I had less to get on with essentially it was a good balance and I had my core objectives to meet and then scope to take on my own task and really make the most of my time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given my core objectives as sole responsibility for these. when writing for the newspaper I managed two pages for myself as well as control over social media posts. I was invited in on high level meetings and felt that my opinions were valed on these matters.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has critiqued my writing in a way that I hope to bring to my studies and beyond. Managing time has been invaluable to me and I look forward to continuing my routine through my studies. I feel all I have learnt has been invaluable.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Excellent. I really enjoyed the office banter with the professional feel that everyone gave off. Everyone was thoroughly accommodating and exceptionally nice. I could ask anything of anyone and vise versa. everyone in the office acted in a professional and inviting manner that allowed me to relax into what has been my first office job.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My first week was a bit all over the place as I settled in and sorted a works laptop however post this I settled in and was right into the swing of things. I fortunately had a nice handover period with the previous placement which allowed for a swift transition.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Plenty of internal training from my colleagues from video editing to critiquing my writing. I was also fortunate enough to go on a two day mental health first aid course funded by the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have thoroughly enjoyed not only my time here within the company but the people that make it. I would love to be invited back into the role I have been carrying out to remain with these lovely people though I think that is unlikely as the team is so small. I hope to stay in contact and use the skills they have taught me to further my career and who knows- I might be back!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was, though I was reluctant to get involved. There was a facebook group chat for others to socialise in and I made a few friends that I would keep in contact with.
I joined a charity group within the company made up of young people which really brought people in placement and grad schemes together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Same as before as I stayed in the city I attend University (Cardiff) although my travel expenses were higher. To be honest I don't like to think of where my money goes so who even knows.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
No idea. Port Talbot could be popping idk but Cardiff bangs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I suppose so. There was a choir but I didn't get involved otherwise plenty of sporting activities to do. I ran a 10K sponsored by Tata Steel so yeah there's that.