Spring Intern at Credit Suisse

Banking - Investment

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

8.8/10

Overall, it was a great experience to get to meet the firm and network with a range of employees from different seniority levels. I really enjoyed the people-aspect to it, and I got to create a close network with other spring interns over the week at the firm, who I will undoubtedly stay in touch with.

There were quite a few other interns (around 60 in total) who were taking part in the same spring insight programme as me, and yet I still felt valued during my time at the company as people from HR were always ready to help and answer any questions that I had.

During the various sessions, the leaders of the sessions would always be coming around and offering lots of help. I also felt very well supported by the HR organisers of the spring week, who were always positive and extremely helpful, even though they undoubtedly had a lot going on and a lot to think about!

My degree is unrelated to the division I had my spring week in (investment banking), so the information I received would not be very helpful to my degree, but since I would like to pursue a career in investment banking, I was able to gain a better understanding of it and therefore it will help in my future career.

The spring insight week was very tightly structured and the sessions were always kept to time. During sessions when we would rotate and talk to different employees, there would be signals to indicate when to move on, which meant that sessions never over-ran or took longer than what was expected.

In general, there was a good atmosphere because everyone was there to learn about the firm and therefore we all had the same purpose. However, sometimes it felt very corporate, which is perhaps to be expected of a large, corporate firm. Nevertheless, the friendly people always made the mood great!

The firm made sure we had a good general overview of the sector and that we understood the environment in which Credit Suisse operates, so I feel like I gained a lot of knowledge about investment banking.

We did not get to work on any desks and experience actual work (although we had games and workshops which gave us a simulation of what the kind of work would entail) and so I did not get a full picture of what it would actually be like to have a full time role.

Meeting lots of people from the firm gave me a good understanding of the diverse company culture, which gave me a good impression of the company as a whole.

The insight programme was incredibly insightful and crucial in helping me to decide on what I want to do in the future. We were given lots of information about investment banking, and therefore I have decided that I definitely want to pursue it in the future, which is a step forward as I was quite unsure beforehand!

I was just reimbursed for train travel, but was not paid and did not qualify for accommodation.

There were loads of sessions to network and meet other employees at the firm, however the setting was sometimes a bit forced rather than relaxed and fun – it would have maybe been nice to get to meet fellow employees in a social setting, perhaps at a bar outside the office rather than in the office building?

On the first day, there was a drinks and networking sessions just for the fellow interns, which was a great opportunity to get to meet everyone else on the programme. There was also another session with canapes and drinks with current employees, although it felt more like a HR session rather than a fun social event.

I did not really get the chance to find out about extra activities or charity work/volunteering events that employees can do, but I’m sure that they might offer this! Perhaps a short session on this would have been useful and give a more varied insight to life at the firm.

All in all, I would recommend the Credit Suisse spring programme to a friend because it truly is the best way to figure out whether you want to apply for a graduate job for them. It’s more than an insight day, but less commitment than a long-term internship, so it is the perfect way to try before you commit!