Software Engineering EID at GE Healthcare

Amersham Greater London
Computer and Systems Engineering Computer Science Medical/Health Pharmaceutical

8.5/10

6.6

It was the most enjoyable and worthwhile part of going to University.

Completely. It took some time to come to terms with how much trust and influence I was given as an intern. I was treated like a normal employee. I feel like I've been spoiled and will be lucky to find an environment and team on par.

I had regular 1-to-1 meetings and my activities were tailored with my goals and interests in mind. I had help with more than just work; academic and career advice, emotional support etc. were all available.

This detail varied significantly. I could be juggling up to 4 commitments at once, along with daily meetings and presentations, or I could be scraping by on a single project. R&D seems almost seasonal (conferences/summer area particularly slow time).

As explained in the 'valued by colleagues' section, I was given far more influence and responsibility than I expected. I presented to senior business leaders on multiple occasions, influenced the direction of projects, and helped define new processes.

After about 2 weeks on my placement I felt as though I'd learnt more than I had in my 2 years at uni. Some of my modules are a cakewalk thanks to the work I did on placement, and I feel much wiser and passionate as a whole.

My immediate team/s were incredibly supportive and familial, and I miss them all. I'm thankful to be able to work with them still, even if it is part-time and remotely. Sometimes there were tensions due to change, but there was always cake.

While it ran smoothly most of the time, the pace of work was very sporadic, and sometimes felt very adhoc.

I visited France and Budapest, went to conferences, and completed Udemy training courses. I also had access to meetings and activities of interest to add depth to my learning.

Within the same team/function I would be cautious to return based on the potential for advancing my own personal development in a transferable way. Within the company as a whole, I am enticed.

Yes! I had more of a social life and made more friends on placement than whilst at uni.

A lot. Moving from the North to the South was a shock in many was, but the cost and value of renting a place to live was most frustrating. Half of my salary went on rent, whilst the other half allowed me to stay afloat. Alcohol was pricey.

In the actual area I worked it wasn't great, but it had good tube links into London.

Team/company events happened regularly: barbecues, rounders, pub visits and dinner etc. There were also gym classes available, although I didn't take part.