1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I do enjoy working for BMW UK as part of the Marketing department. I feel i have a real responsibility and the tasks I complete are interesting and constantly developing. The team that work in the department are fun to work with and very friendly, making every day exciting and enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Within BMW UK I feel there is a mutual feeling of value between all colleagues. Although my tasks may not be as large as others, or vice versa, every colleague here at BMW is treated equally and valued accordingly. I think my contribution to the team is valued by my close team and department.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
All managers, supervisors or execs are open to offer guidance or answer questions whenever the need arises. I have never felt that I do not have the necessary support from any member of my close team or at BMW UK as a whole. If I am unsure on the direction of tasks I will get clear guidance from another team member.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There is always new tasks to be had and new challenges to get stuck into in my team. My manager also encourages me to take on new challenges that I may be interested in within the marketing department or within the whole of BMW UK. I feel my role has a good amount of responsibility to keep me learning and developing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere within the office is relaxed but focused. It is your responsibility to complete your tasks, however people are constantly relaxed, talking and having fun. Everyone is usually in a good mood and encouraged to have fun will completing the work. A happy department is a productive department I think.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The BMW UK placement scheme seems organised and well structured, each student understands there role within the department and company and is valued equally with other colleagues. From day 1 and the handover until now has been seamless in the organisation and plan that has been set in transferring skills between students and us developing ourselves.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel the company are very focused on the placements students personal training and development and investing in us. We complete periodic training and development plans both with our managers and independently to ensure that we can maximize our personal training and development, while making sure we document it for future references.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As there are so many other placement students within BMW UK, especially within the marketing department, the social aspect of work is great. There are always work colleagues to do things out of work time with and have fun with while being at work. The other execs and managers are also fun and socialize outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I am fortunate enough to live at home during my placement year, so this isn't particularly applicable to me. However, there are a number of affordable places to socialize in the local area and have great links to busy areas, such as London or other bigger cities. I'm unsure of renting costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in the towns surrounding the area in which I work are not particularly great, however there is fairly good transport links to get to better nightlife areas, such as; Guildford or London. The local area does have a number of smaller bars or pubs on the other hand which are good fun.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are plenty of opportunities to socialize and get involved in activities and sports clubs outside of work. I play football every week at a local five-a-side pitch with some colleagues. There is also a good amount of opportunities to volunteer in groups from work for charity outside of work.