Sales, Marketing, Customer Success Intern at Oracle

Information Technology Marketing Sales

6.5/10

4.8

4.0

Rotational placement switching between Demand Generation marketing, Sales Operations, and Customer Success.

My placement at Oracle (Specifically Oracle Dyn GBU, now OCI) was the most incredible experience I have ever had in my working life. I was thrown straight into to managing my own projects, working with some incredible people, and built an amazing network to grow alongside with. The role I had in marketing was varied and rich in development.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 19 roles at Oracle

My colleagues and I relied on each other to achieve our goals - be it a new marketing campaign, an event that needed to be organised, or a problem that needed to be solved. I felt as though I was a true member of the team, not just "the intern".

My managers and team were incredible in supporting me throughout my placement. When I made a mistake, I was supported through and encouraged to learn from it - which helped develop my skills and my confidence. My managers were extremely supportive with anything from my personal life that may have affected my performance, and I am so glad I had the privilege of working with them.

Like all jobs, there are busy periods and quiet periods. If I had to quantify my business over the placement I would say that I was busy 85% of the time, with the remaining time being used to recuperate and get my other projects back in order. It was a good balance that felt exciting but not overwhelming.

After around three weeks I was given my own projects to execute, and once I had successfully done this - I would be given another. This continued throughout my placement to the point where I was running my own campaigns, organising my own events, and leading small teams - simultaneously.

The skills I developed include but are not limited to: time management, discipline, team work, communication, leadership skills, and adaptability. These are all extremely sought after, and I expect that they will serve me will with my future career endeavours. Currently, the newly-found time management and discipline skills are helping me to achieve my goals at university with greater ease.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 19 roles at Oracle

This is not necessarily relevant anymore as the office I worked in has since been merged with another division of Oracle, but the culture at the time was a mix of hard work, but good fun. We had scooters, a beer fridge, and a PS4. It was inviting and extremely warm. It is a shame that it is gone.

My placement was envisioned as a rotation between sales, marketing, and customer success. However, after the first quarter it was apparent that this was not a good arrangement. The roles were altered slightly, but this still was not an ideal set up. As I was working and supporting the marketing team very well during my rotation with them, I remained within their team for the duration of the placement.

I did not attend any personal training or development courses during my time in this placement. However, I was trained on very commonly used CRM and marketing automation tools - which are skills sought after by other employers. It is unfortunate that I wasn't given other training, but I felt as though I learned a lot from the experience overall to overcome this.

Again, I worked within a specific division that is now defunct within Oracle. This division had a different culture to the main oracle organisation. However, in the times that I did work within the core Oracle arm - I felt that this would be an exciting company to work for again, and I would be happy to do so.

I did not find the social scene within the placement cohort to be that extensive - there was a real focus on getting to know your immediate teams, and network with people whose situation is different to your own. That being said, there was a number of CSR initiatives run by the placement cohort that was enjoyable to go to.

I worked in Brighton, but the core Oracle office is in Reading. Brighton is really expensive, but the pay for the internship does balance that out somewhat. Had I worked in the Reading office, I would have had more money to socialise and live with. (Reading is a fun town though, so I'd go for it!)

Brighton is known for its nightlife, and it did not disappoint. Due to the culture of the office I worked in, I had many an opportunity to explore this nightlife, and many an adventure were had doing this! Reading itself has a number of clubs and bars, and is equally and enjoyable town to socialise within.

No. Occasionally I would go to rock-climbing, or the CSR initiatives like Tough Mudder - but in general the work-life split was quite strong working at Oracle. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I found it quite lonely having just moved down to Brighton from Oxford. This can vary person-to-person though!