Promoted to Management Assistant after 12 months of being a Management Trainee (Intern).
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Was a great place to work in regards to working with good people, and some training provided. Would have been even better if the hours were more controlled.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Being with your colleagues so much greater that whole “family feel” it was great to feel valued and value each other
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management helped whenever they could. Sometimes was slightly a struggle as the business was busy but he’ll is always given when asked.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Never a day where the role was slow or not busy. Extremely full on and the hours went by fast.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Being a branch “runner” who is in charge of all operations and service and sales after a few months gave you the most responsibility you could think of.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
A lot of interpersonal skills, some management skills, and also some business management skills were acquired. Perhaps more training into actual running the business could be provided such as marketing etc, but again this was due to lack of time at times.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Generally always happy, and had a good vibe - however when the days got busy it could become slightly “tired” and a bit more quiet.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Was averagely organised. Again a lot of the placement was set up fairly well, but when it came to actual business work and management, it was limited sometimes due to needing our services for more simple tasks such as driving or serving customer a fair bit too much for my personal liking. It was quite a “retail” job for a management position
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company managed to MQI me, (meaning I passed my management development folder and the “grill” which was a test to ensure I was no longer a trainee. However the time invested in me was limited at times.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Fairly appealing, will be looking around elsewhere also to keep my options open. But the company itself is really good to work for.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
At some events there are intern meetings, and also training days with fellow interns or management trainees. However the company as a whole at the branch and branch management level are fairly young. So it’s quite a good atmosphere.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home, where the nearest branch was. So nothing I wasn’t used to.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Again, I lived at home, a 5 minute drive from the branch I worked at, so it was nothing I wasn’t used to. Nightlife wasn’t the best around my area tho!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A handful throughout the placement year, plenty of some charity events, some meals for business meetings, some training days, not too much outside of work however.