1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
10 - I thoroughly enjoyed my summer internship working at BuroHappold. I was given so many great opportunities and was able to experience a wide range of areas. All the work I did was really interesting and enjoyable. The people at BuroHappold are all lovely and very welcoming, and I would love the opportunity to return.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
10- I felt like I was completely welcomed in the team by everyone. All the people I worked with were friendly and kind and always happy to help. Not only was it enjoyable to work with the people there but it was also a lot of fun to socialise with them!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
10 - My line manager was extremely supportive throughout the whole internship. He made sure that I was enjoying my internship and checked that I felt I was getting everything I could out of the internship. From the start I was given tasks to complete that pushed me and there was always something interesting to do.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
10 - I was never bored during my internship, there was always something to interested to do, whether it was tasks that I had officially been assigned, or just time spent trying to figure out a new software. I never felt overwhelmed by the work, and my line manager was supportive if I struggled with anything.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
10 - I feel like I was given plenty of responsibilities, and I feel the work I did was all important and necessary. I did a lot of work in making work processes more efficient and less time consuming, which would have a significant positive effect on the rest of the team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
10 - I gained experience in plenty of areas during my internship. One of the main areas I feel I benefited in was computer programming, I was given the opportunity to use many new softwares, all the coding languages which are now useful on my course and have helped me to decide to do more computing related units.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
10 - everyone in the office was always in a good mood, even in more serious discussions I feel like everyone was very positive. People in the team all cared about each other. I feel like there was a good balance in work between working and social, so the experience was enjoyable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
10 - The internship was very well organised, Human Resources team were excellent with everything. I had to change the start date of my internship, and they had no problems sorting this out. They were also able to extend my internship with no problems. I feel there was also always plenty of work to do, so this had obviously been planned and prepared for.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10 - I feel like the company gave me plenty of opportunities for personal development. I met with the team leader half way through my internship so they could check if I was happy with the work I was doing and if there was anything else I wanted to do. My line manager also regularly checked that I was happy with the work I was doing and if there was anything else I wanted to try.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
10 - I really enjoyed my time at BuroHappold and would definitely love the opportunity to return. I will definitely apply there again for a summer internship next year, and will also apply for one of the graduate schemes once I finish university. I would love to have a job there in the future as well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
10 - When I started my internship, the other student placements and colleagues were extremely welcoming and invited me to lunch. I feel I had a very strong relationship with lots of the placement students and colleagues socially and still keep in contact with some of them even now I am finished.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
5 - I am a student in university not far from where I worked, so I already had accommodation sorted, although this was very expensive. I also find the cost for socialising very expensive, and so it wasn't something that could be done too regularly! Although I did make an effort to go for food once a week with everyone.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
6 - there were karaoke bars, mini festivals and plenty of pubs to visit. So overall it was good enough for me !
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
10 - there were plenty of opportunities to do other things outside of work, but organised by work. There was a young peoples forum which was a great placed to meet new people and go to plenty of great events. Work also organised other fun activities such as paddle boarding, surfing and a canal boat trip.