1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
On my placement, with Blue Orchid Hotels I had an amazing time getting to know the hospitality industry and hotel operations. I was in the city that never sleeps - London - thus it was a great experience both professionally by developing new skills and personally by having a taste of the real world.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I always felt like part of a team and was treated like a regular colleague instead of an intern. Everyone from housekeeping and kitchen to management and general manager made me feel like part of the family. They were understanding and helpful every spet of the way until the end of my placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was welcomed to the team with open hands since day one. I always had someone to help me close for the first few weeks until I was confident in my abilities. My manager was always there supporting me and guiding me in the right direction. Every mistake was treated as a learning opportunity which helped me develop my skills further.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always found something to do, but I also always had time for a lunch break and a breath of fresh air. It was the perfect balance between busy and slow.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The more I progressed and became confident the more responsibilities I had. By the end of my placement, I was able to lead a team and organize events within the hotel.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement gave me a better understanding of the hospitality industry and it will help me greatly during the rest of my studies. I am able to draw the theoretical part of my studies to the placement and have real-life examples. I have also developed many skills and gained new ones.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Positivity was always pleasant.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I could always ask for training or learn a new aspect (department) of the hotel.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Everyone was friendly and loved to share their experiences before and during their placement.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in London is never cheap, however, the placement offered an above London living wage, thus it made it easier.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London has it all.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Central London has many different opportunities to fill your free time from volunteering to historic attractions.