1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed working with Blue Orchid Hotels during my placement year, I learnt a huge amount and was totally ready to begin my career at the end of the programme.
I felt supported throughout the process and cannot recommend this company enough!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues always made me feel extremely supported both my fellow placement students and the permanent employees of the company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The guidance I got from the management when second to none, I was never worried to speak with the supervisors about any issues I had and they always made sure to accommodate me the best that they could.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I would say I was the perfect mix between busy and quiet days. I like being busy and having a lot of things to do so I was pleased when things were busier.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the right amount of responsibility during my placement. I didn't feel too much pressure to do tasks that were outside of my skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I know a lot more about the hospitality industry now as well as what it is like working in this environment. I feel a lot more confident to be able to write my essays and understand my lectures as well as cultivate a career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The hotel is always lively and there is always a great atmosphere even when things are quiet or busy!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Everything was well organised and I felt very comfortable knowing where I was going next and what the months ahead would involve.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested their time, effort and trust into me. I am passionate about this industry and I hope that the company saw this in me. At first, I was helped to complete tasks but as time went on the company saw that I was getting more confident and trusted me to complete everything that was given to me with minimal help from managers.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I got a job with them that I love after I finished this placement programme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We all go out after work together and even sometimes on the weekend. We are all very close after this past year.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
We are based in Central London so the cost of living is quite high however the transport is great to the hotels so you can live further out and commute. The hotels I worked at were only a 40-minute train ride from Gatwick which has a very low cost of living.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is the best around Victoria. There are some brilliant bars and clubs nearby as well as some great food places.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company has a brilliant charity which we could all volunteer at as well as partner companies.