Facilities Management Intern at BMW Group

Management Consultancy

6.3/10

7.7
4.4

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my placement at the BMW Group at Hams Hall. I was given a large amount of responsibility, and freedom to work how I felt was best for me to be at my most productive. Every day was different, and the variation never allowed for a boring day.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 8 roles at BMW Group

I felt valued by my manager and the colleagues within my team. However, I felt slightly dismissed by members of other teams as perhaps I was only an intern.

My manager gave me a brief when I arrived, and whilst I was set up well, I was not given much further guidance. However, my supervisor was nothing short of excellent, if there was ever a problem he was there to lend a hand, all the while not giving too much away that it wasn't a challenge.

11/10 busy, as a facilities management intern it was far busier than other roles in the factory and a lot of leg work. But that's part of the joy of the job is that there was a lot of communication and interacting with other teams and individuals in order to get the timing correct in projects.

The world can be your oyster. You can get out of this placement as much as you put in. For example, after I had learnt the systems and procdedures, I completely ran a £200,000 project from cradle to grave. Depends whether or not you are prepared to put the effort in.

At this time I have not completed any more of my degree so I am unable to comment on this

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 8 roles at BMW Group

The atmosphere is super relaxed, which can be good in some areas and all the more fun to be in - but as I was always busy it wasn't always too helpful as I needed to get the work done. My team was full of nice people that we could always talk if there was time.

Seemed very poor, as it is what each team makes of it. Doesn't seem to be a set program for interns to work through and is very adhoc. I was fortunate that my team had a supervisor that wanted to make the team look good and he himself was well organised - only that he had taken this upon himself and there wasn't a designated plan.

To me, as good as the internship is and the opportunities that it provides, it does not seem like there is an official plan to recruit former interns into a graduate program. So there might be good opportunities but they only go for external applicants. Quite poor if you ask me.

Again, the world is your oyster and if you are prepared to put the effort in then its great. However there was not a preorganised meet up for the new interns so you have to go out of your way to introduce yourself. Good social scene once set up however.

Can not comment on living as i was staying with a family member. The cost of socialising is quite high when going out into the city however.

birmingham is only just down the road and provides great nightlife for socialising.

Only if you made them for yourself, not many organised meet ups otherwise.