1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The environment is great. They have all the facilities. Every day they will provide fruits and snack in the kitchen, they have a game room, ping pong table, etc. And the people there are also nice, which made this internship really enjoyable. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure we have accesses to tools that we may need before starting, otherwise, it took too long to start.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Had teamwork with other interns, the experience is good. Everyone in the department value your opinions and thoughts. They organise multiple events as well, and during some of them, we have to team up with other people, maybe from other departments, and they all listen to you. People are really friendly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Anytime you need help, they are always there. Although during my internship, my manager had a holiday break, he has arranged people to take care of us. They also assign "buddy" to us, which is like "mentor" to us. In this way, we have more people to reach and help us to integrate into the company.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning of the internship, there were not many works due to the access permission problem. When given some work, they are all estimated, so, normally you won't leave any work undone. If at the beginning you think you may need more hours, they will modify the time accordingly, which is really nice.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
We were given all the responsibilities. Really grateful about that.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
At the beginning of the work, we were given relevant training. So, we don't feel uncomfortable with the work we do. They also helped to set up everything we needed. During this internship, I learned a lot of different technologies and tools, which I am sure they will be really useful in my academic and professional aspect.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office is really nice and friendly. We celebrate birthdays each month, and when there is any announcement, we all participate. We often do team lunch together, trying out different restaurants. And we also celebrate social events, such as LGBT pride, volunteer in local schools, etc.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Except for the first beginning weeks, that we were not given any work, any other weeks were organised. They gave us different options to work on at the beginning so we can choose the one that we like, and we also had experienced a project which is on a really early basis.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They trained us with other permanent employees together to get to the same level as them. For some specific technologies or tools that we may not be familiar with, they also gave us time to learn those in details. One advantage is that they have an internal learning platform, so you can learn as many as you want.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
One thing to consider is that most of the employees are not very young aged. Inside the company, you have to apply for any promotion. And normally, the position will be out when someone leave, in this sense, it's really competitive. They have an internal position system. And I feel it's easy to be what you want to be in your professional career.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We sometimes have after-work drinks. And sometimes, they organise events, such as scape room, etc. And they also have held an intern event, where we went to play Go Karting. It was really fun.
If you like gaming, they also have game nights where people bring their own games as well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The area is not expensive compared to London. Many restaurants but not many places to entertain.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is a street full of clubs. The company is not far from the city centre.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are many activities outside of work. There is a Music Festival held there during summer.