1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed undertaking projects where I was responsible for managing my own time and conducting research, but other regular tasks became mundane
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by the team I was in and by may managers, as they relied on me quite a lot when they were away on conferences/holidays. In general at J-C, the students seem to be appreciated a lot
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Again, my team and direct managers gave me as much support as I asked for
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Regular reports kept me extremely busy 2 weeks of every month and then individual projects filled the time around these
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt I was given a lot of responsibility ie. sending reports to the MD, other top managers and the fieldforce. Although, if i was ever in doubt, support was always there from my team
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I became more confident in my own work during my placement year, which has helped me a great deal during my final year at Uni. Also, my particular role, helped me in a few of last semester modules. Other training on Microsoft packages has and will help me in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Often relaxed other than around month end when all the team were extremely busy with regular reporting. There was a young, laid back atmosphere, and everyone seemed happy as long as the work got done. There was a lot of banter within my team which made my job a lot more fun!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Extremely organised, as 35 placement students were in the office and JC have been taking placement students for years
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
All the students under went generic in-house training, and I was trained on many packages by external companies. However, this was required for my role, and so the money was spent in order for me to be able to complete my job efficiently. I attended a few conferences during the year, in order to report back to team.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Overall, I wouldn't want to do the job role I did for a career, and in some teams, promotions are limited, but as a company I wouldnt mind working for them.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good socially. Many of the students lived in the area, which meant good nights out. many of my friends at Uni now are people that I met on placement.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
High Wycombe is quite an expensive place to live, I wasnt able to save very much.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Only good because of the other students!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Sports and Social club organised lots of events to get involved with, and i was able to join a Netball Club also.