My vacation placement at Gateley Legal was very enjoyable because of the welcoming and friendly atmosphere at the firm. On the placement you will be made to feel part of the team and will be given good quality work. There are also several organised social events during which you can get to know the other SVP students and trainees at the firm.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
You are made to feel like part of the team straight away. I was placed in the Commercial Disputes team and despite having no previous experience in the area I was trusted with contributing to real work being done at the firm. The firm promotes an approachable atmosphere and ensures that you don't feel like an outsider.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
Whenever tasks were set, they were always explained well to me and put in context within the case. I felt like they want you to do well on the placement and everyone was always giving me tips on how to succeed. Whilst a certain level of independence is expected, the level of support I received definitely gave me confidence to succeed on the placement.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
5. How well structured was the insight?
The placement was very well structured. On the first day, every SVP student is given a personal timetable which details social events, when the daily practice area talks are, the dates and times of your assessments and when you will be in your seat.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Gateley promotes a positive, friendly and social atmosphere. Whilst everyone is very hardworking, there is a definite camaraderie between staff. The atmosphere at the firm makes you feel very comfortable to be yourself.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
10. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?