Checking customers in to their hire vehicle as well as returning customers once they are done with the vehicle. Also carrying out admin work during quieter spells.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I very much enjoyed my placement with enterprise rent-a-car as every day you were kept busy as there are many different tasks that can be carried out, no two days were the same which kept the job interesting and kept me on my toes a lot of the time, it was also very busy during the summer which makes your day go by quickly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were extremely supportive, kind and friendly from the moment I stepped into the branch for my first day, until the very end of the internship. They were all very patient and were happy to help me with any problems I had whilst trying to get used to the job.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given great support by managers especially during the first few weeks of the internship as they wanted to help me as best they could, any problems or questions I had they were always happy to answer/help, this made me feel good as at the start of my internship I would often get confused/forget things related to the job.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As it was during the summer this was a peak time for the branch, especially being in the city centre which meant we had lots and lots of customers every day, this kept everyone busy and even during quieter spells in the branch there is always admin tasks that can be worked on.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
For being an intern, I feel as if I was given a good amount of responsibility whilst working with Enterprise. I was able to carry out pretty much the same tasks as the management trainees of the branch did, which is always good as I wasn’t just making tea and coffee all day.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Working with enterprise gave me a great insight as to what it would be like working for a professional company that is related to my degree, I had many responsibilities and had to take ownership for my own success in the branch rather than just being told what to do all the time. Overall I feel as if I developed many skills that will come in handy for the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The majority of the time it was always a good atmosphere, there was a good mix of fun and also doing the work that needed to be done, sometimes if staff were out of the branch driving, the office would be a little quieter, however overall there was a good office atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The set up was very organised, from the introduction days at start until the very end, we were given a folder as interns to follow for the first week, which kept us on track whilst trying to take all the new information in. Everything was very clear and structured which shows the professional side of the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Maybe this would apply more to those on a full years placement compared to just the summer, as I noticed those working in the branch as well as those on the years placement were spoken to one to one about their progress and their next steps. This didn’t happen with the interns. However in terms of training, we were able to shadow a management trainee for the first week and ask them any questions we had which was good.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
In terms of the future I would like to keep my options open as there are lots of other companies out there that I may be better suited to. This is only the first one that I have looked into and gained an understanding of so it would be too soon to say whether or not I will be back in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes everyone was very social and very friendly, all staff members were easy to get along with and there were also several staff nights out and events that we were able to attend, most staff members were in their 20’s. In terms of the other interns on placement with me they were great to have in the branch as well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in the Glasgow city centre branch, I stayed at home and this was ideal because the branch is only a 15 minute drive from me, I did not have to spend much money on travel and didn’t need to spend any money on accommodation or anything like that.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It was in Glasgow city centre so I think that speaks for itself.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Doesn’t really apply to me as I only worked at the branch for 4 months over the summer and was staying at home so I was already involved in activities outside of work.