Global Markets Analyst and Associate Internship at Credit Suisse

Economics Financial Management

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

7.3/10

Looking at companies on the global scale and performing research, and carrying out financial analyses, with guidance

I enjoyed the insight quite a lot as it was my first time in which I got to analyse and look at companies on such a large scale as I was looking at companies that were not just operating in single countries but also TNCs that were global companies which was quite fun.

I did feel quite valued by my colleagues as I was doing quite a bit of work in the company in the form of financial analysis and writing up reports and collating research, under the supervision of other workers to ensure that I was doing the work there correctly to a good standard.

I was given quite a lot of support by the workers over there and this was because they understood that this was quite a new experience to me and I was still in university so I still needed help to grasp the concepts that they discussed and work closely with which was nice.

I was never too busy on a daily basis. I had work to do and would usually finish early. However, I could always find something productive to do in the company so there was always extra work to be done by me which was quite fun as it meant I contributed more.

I think I was given a fair share of responsibility. This is because I did get some quite high-level tasks such as the research aspects as well as the tasks that involved drawing up and writing up segments of a company's financial analysis. However, I was under supervision as would be expected.

I think that I developed many new skills over there including my writing skills, specifically for writing reports, and I also feel that I have started to open my eyes to the wider world of Economics and how interesting the field seems and this was nice as it will help me with a greater understanding for the future.

I think that the general atmosphere in my office was quite devoted on work and they were very work-oriented but I feel like I really did like this environment because it was when I was most productive and I feel this was wholly representative of what it would really be like there.

I think that my work placement was set up really well because they had lots for me to do and they planned it quite well with the deadlines I was set as well as what they were teaching me throughout my time there, which was really nice when I was working there.

In terms of personal training and development, I think that they did invest quite a lot in me as they did teach me a lot and allow me to do tasks in their company and helped me improve in these by learning from the others as well as giving me independent feedback.

I would definitely love to work with them in the future but I do not think it is very likely. This is mainly because I think that there is a lot of competition for jobs over there and it will be very unlikely that I will get in but this will not stop me from trying!

I think there was a relatively good social scene amongst me and the colleagues. This is mainly because we had good conversations in between doing our work and this was nice as it really came to show the balance between work and having fun, and just relaxing. This was definitely one of the best things.

The cost of living in the area near the office was quite high but I often got the opportunity to work from home as it was mainly writing reports, especially nearer to the end when I needed less guidance, so this did cut the costs of living quite a lot. There were many opportunities for socialising in the area as well.

I did not really get to experience the nightlife in the area in which I worked. This is because I got to work from home a lot of the time. Furthermore, when I did go into work, I would usually not be finished too late so I would not really stay back for the nightlife.

There were quite a few opportunities to get involved in outside of work and this mainly came from opportunities to meet with the financial advisors and managers of different companies and though I did not get to speak to them directly, I got to hear financial conversations between members of the companies.