1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement with Cadent. Given lots of responsibility to take the lead on my own projects which added value to the business. I found that the work was extremely varied - from going out on site learning from engineers to attending meetings and working on my own projects. I learned lots about the industry which will support me in my future career! The thing I loved most about the placement was my team... They were very welcoming, supportive and lots of fun!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At the start of the placement I felt as though things were a little bit slow and the work I was producing wasn't really adding much value. However, as time went on things picked up and my colleagues started to value my contribution and would ask me to help them out with their own work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I saw my manager on most days. He was very supportive and would always "check-in" with me to make sure everything was going ok and that I had enough work to be getting on with.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Again, at the start on the placement things were a little bit slow off the ground. Things got busier as time progressed to the point when I found myself VERY busy in the final stages of the placement.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My manager put a lot of trust in me to come up with the solution to a problem and present/roll it out to the field force and other staff. A couple of pieces of work I produced have been rolled out in out in other regions.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I didn't really do much work that was related to my degree (engineering) which was probably one of the downsides of the placement. I would have liked it if we could have had a little bit more control over the area of the business we would like to be placed in.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Generally the atmosphere in my office was quite relaxed. Was able to have a good laugh from time to time. My base location was quite small with 20 staff at most which meant that you got to know everyone in the office well by the end of the placement. Engineers would be in and out all day speaking to supervisors and picking up tools.. They were always really friendly and great to talk to.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Mostly well organised and structured. We had quarterly reviews with line manager and placement coordinator review progress and resolve any issues.
The company were a little bit last minute confirming where we would be placed.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Company invested a lot in training which will beneficial for my future career.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Would love to come back and work for Cadent again in the future!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Occasionally met up with a couple of the other students outside of work. Was encouraged the organise socials.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Lived at home.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?