External Communications and Government Affairs Undergraduate at Pfizer

Administration/Secretarial Media Pharmaceutical Politics Public Relations

7.5/10

7.4

6.0

Supporting the comms and government affairs team in the drafting of media materials, leading on interviews, helping to uphold the company's reputation, managing the press office, etc.

I loved my placement. The team was fantastic and I was given a lot of responsibilities and the experiences I had allowed me to develop a number of skills.

I felt very valuable by my colleagues, with the entire team treating me like family. I knew I could rely on them for help with anything - professionally and personally.

My supervisor was great. We met every two weeks to ensure I was given as much exposure to different subjects as possible and to provide me with constructive feedback.

Extremely busy. I used to work 9-6pm everyday, not so much because I was asked to but because I genuinely had so much to do. It was great because there was never a dull moment and I was constantly working on several projects at once.

A lot, probably a lot more than an undergraduate should be given. By month 3 I was running three projects alone whilst providing support to the rest of the team.

The skills I gained will without a doubt help me in any future role. I was able to develop my project and time management skills, I work as part of a team as well as alone and gained a great insight to what it is like to work in a pharmaceutical company. I also realised that this is the career path I would like to pursue.

It was great. The team and the department are very friendly with colleagues always laughing and making you feel at home.

Not very well organized. No handover was given at the beginning of the placement, I was not given a placement supervisor for the first 3 months or even a contact in HR who I could speak to about these issues.

The processes need to be improved.

They invested quite a lot. I went to several courses outside of Pfizer as well as inside, to expand my skills. I was always encouraged to attend courses, talks and events that could enhance my skills.

Really appealing. Currently applying for a full time position within it.

Yes. Even though Pfizer is in the middle of the countryside, colleagues tried to have monthly 'team night outs' and undergraduates were always meeting up for drinks and events after work.

Cost was high! £400 to £500 for a room, and drinks and food expensive, especially if you go out in London.

Non existent. Surrey barely has a nightlife. Definitely needed to go to London to have a proper night out.

Yes. A lot of Gyms, country clubs, charities and volunteer work outside Pfizer. Pfizer itself also runs its own volunteer programmes and gives you 5 working days to be used for volunteering.