A software development internship focused on experiencing the overall software engineering process within the company.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The overall internship was a great experience. Although the work was very interesting I would encourage the company to organise more events with the interns and perhaps other employees for networking opportunities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I have received great feedback from my colleagues and I also felt like I have been given a lot of responsibility.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I have received proper guidance from my manager as well as the assigned supervisor. I do believe slight improvements could be made to the overall training procedure.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My team did a great job in assigning the right amount of tasks to keep me engaged.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Throughout the internship I feel like I have been given a great amount of responsibility and trust from my team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Throughout the internship I have greatly improved my problem solving capabilities and my overall technical knowledge (e.g. C++ programming and using GIT), skills that are crucial within my domain.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Although it was a pleasant overall atmosphere, I found it somewhat difficult to establish considerable social connections with the other employees.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall the internship has been organised fairly good, although there are some opportunities for improvement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company provided a good amount of training in the beginning of the internship. However, I consider that the provided training sessions could be improved (e.g. focus more on the code base that you get to work on, especially since it is quite complex and entirely unfamiliar).
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Based on the completed work and the overall experience I would consider returning to the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It was a generally good social atmosphere between interns and other employees, however, I found it difficult to establish meaningful social connections with the other employees.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Overall, the cost of life and general social experiences seemed a bit high compared to the provided salary.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Generally, the company was located approximately 30 minutes from the closest pub. However, due to traffic issues it could take up to 45 minutes to reach the closest pub or club from work.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company organised a few outside of work events in the beginning and ending phases of the internship. I do believe a few additional events throughout the internship would have been great.