Assisting the Business Unit Hazardous Area Communications in the operations role of the company. Helping 4 other sites globally with the operations of the businesses.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I loved my placement experience. It was such an insight into the company that i have never heard before. Everyone was so welcoming and the structure of the internship was well established and planned out. During my internship, I always had work to do but was never pressured or overworked during my role
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was so welcoming, whether they were based on site or within the company globally. All staff members helped me out and made sure that I was enjoying the placement and were available for any questions
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was always available to help me with any questions I had, even though he worked quite a bit off site. I was still able to contact him and check in on my work. Furthermore, my manager and managers on site helped me develop skills and provided training throughout my year
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I did not have much day to day work, it was mainly project work. The projects would always have day to day work to be completed but I would need to be responsible for that and manage my time well. If I ever had spare time, people would always find something for me to do
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt that I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement, I was responsible for a particular report and co-ordinating various sites around the world in regards to capital spending. Many people would ask me questions based on this work as I was the go to person due to the amount of time I spent on it
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills provided did help me in terms of my degree studies and beyond. I had the opportunity to take a Lean Six Sigma Course. Develop my communication and learn how to speak to people higher up than me and be able to facilitate teams
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
To begin with, I was quite nervous of being in the office as the demographics were not in my favour. However throughout the year this changed and I got on really well with the people in my office. I even organised a staff night out for us to go on team bonding.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall placement was well set up. I had regular training days, performance reviews and regular communication with the Intern Manager. Communication for events was sent out well in advance, allowing me to prepare and be ready for the day
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot into me, as previously mentioned. I had the chance to go on a Lean Six Sigma course, which was 2 weeks away. I had great exposure to Lean and Operations principles, techniques and methodology which I still use today.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects with the company are very attractive. I have secured a part time job with the company whilst studying and the company has provided me information on the graduate leadership programme and referring a friend for a job
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, I had a good time with other placement students both on site and within the company. We would all go out before a training event and meet up for a drink. End of placement meals were organised and we had regular communication with internships and even got the chance to work together on projects
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was adequate in the area. I lived around 40 mins from the site and the rent was very reasonable in relation to the wage that was paid on the internship. Because Nottingham is near the site location the socialising aspect was really good as it was close to work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was amazing. With lots of clubs in Nottingham, we never failed to find a good place to go out. Especially with the two universities near the city there were a lot of students and opportunities to go out in the town. Even some people from work came out with us
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes. The company has many social events/clubs. This extended to a running club, monthly meal club where most employees would go out after being paid and go for a meal after work. It was a nice socialising activity. Other than this, a lot of charity events were organised through work allowing us to raise money.