Mainly customer service focused and based in the branch, serving customers and answering phones.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship as I was granted a vast amount of responsibility and really did learn lot throughout the 12 weeks. I would definitely recommend it to others as it did cover a range of departments from sales to marketing to how to increase revenue and so there would be something to interest everyone.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt appreciated by colleagues greatly. Especially winning an award at the end of the internship at the intern event as this showed that my hard work had not gone unnoticed. I also got on well with my colleagues on a daily basis and so this definitely made the job more enjoyable.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was a massive learning and development culture within the business which I benefited from greatly. When asking for help from my manager I never felt like a burden and she was always happy to show and explain to me how to complete a task. This then meant I could pass the information on to colleagues following after me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days were extremely busy and a lot busier than I was expecting. Monday to Wednesday seemed to be the very busy days due to corporate clients and then Thursday and Friday were more relaxed so it was a good mix overall. It was long shifts so being busy definitely made them pass quicker.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement which I did really enjoy. We each had a captaincy which meant we each had a part of the business which we were in charge of. I enjoyed this as I enjoyed having a goal to work towards on one particular aspect of the business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have definitely learned a large variety of skills which will assist me in further jobs. Such as how to deal with unhappy or annoyed customers. I have also learned how to better work under stress and in busy conditions as this is something as I was not particularly strong in before.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office could be quite low sometimes if it was a particularly busy day as this would mean the management trainees would be doing a lot of driving and sometimes they did not enjoy this. However, it was often a fun, happy place to work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was set up very well and there had been a lot of investment and time spent training us as interns even though we were only there for 12 weeks which made us feel like we really were an integral part of the business. I enjoyed the training and felt prepared for the job following from it.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My manager invested a lot of time into training me and spent time in the branch showing me how to properly complete tasks. We were also given Enterprise cars in order to get to training which showed they were investing in us as they could have easily given those cars to paying customers instead.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The management trainee programme is fairly appealing and I would consider going back for it. However it would be a very different job to what I was doing over the Summer as it involves a lot of driving which is something we never done as an intern. I'm not sure whether I would enjoy this part of the job or not.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was a good social scene as most of the people in my branch were of similar ages and so they enjoyed going out together. There was also an area night out which gave us the opportunity to meet people from different branches in the area.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It didn't make much difference to me as I already lived near my branch.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Again I already lived near where I worked, however the nightlife isn't great as it is just a small town.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there were plenty opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work. As mentioned above, the area nights out etc.