1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Absolutely loved it! The people are fantastic, both the other interns and the full time engineers were incredibly smart and friendly. I feel like I've learned an enormous amount during the summer and it was not only a very challenging, but also rewarding experience. Would absolutely recommend this to every aspiring engineer out there.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued a lot. There is a very strong collaboration culture in the Bloomberg engineering department and I felt that from day one. Although I am obviously less experienced than my colleagues, I was always a part of system design discussions and my opinion was always taken into account. If we went in a different direction it was always thoroughly explained to me why.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It depends on the day, but usually a balanced amount of busy. I would usually be given new tasks whenever I am finished and there was no big time pressure so I managed to maintain a very good work life balance while at Bloomberg. The problems are interesting and engaging so it's very good!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
After I was settled in and had proven to my team that I am fairly decent at what I do, they started trusting me more and more. The amount of responsibility was obviously different from full time engineers and I would never get a call in the middle of the night if something broke, but I got to fix some urgent bugs during work hours.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I haven't come back to uni yet.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great! The culture in the office is fantastic. Everyone is incredibly friendly and smart. Everyone is very professional and take their work very seriously, however they find some time to take breaks and joke around with colleagues. There's also a strong learning culture so the senior engineers really love to teach the junior ones.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Great! Everything was thought out to the tiniest detail. Everything, starting with interviews, information about coming to a new city, opening a bank account, finding a place to live to actually starting, then having numerous amazing events. Not to mention the amount of training and mentorship the interns receive during their time here.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Heavily. There were tech talks almost every week covering a vast range of topics starting with how agile development works to diving deep into a language like C++ for example .Furthermore, we had nothing but training for the first week with the finest professionals of their fields coming in to talk to us.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. This is definitely a place I want to come back to. You get to work on very cool stuff with amazing people. The work life balance is fantastic, the projects are very interesting, the people are very smart, the overall office culture is amazing. Definitely a place I'd want to come back to.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there were numerous events organised for the interns. Starting with things like tech talks where we'd all have lunch together afterwards, doing pub quizzes and then doing numerous social events like bingo for example. We also had engineering specific events which were incredibly well organised and overall just an awesome experience.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Average for London
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I don't do clubs
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?