1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My internship was a very enjoyable experience. EY has a very people-focused culture and everybody I met was very welcoming. I also enjoyed the internship as I was able to develop professionally as for example I had the opportunity to work on interesting projects, attend training sessions and shadow a Partner in a client meeting.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by my colleagues as everyone made an effort to make sure that I was able to get the most out of my internship. My colleagues took time out to explain important concepts to me and I was able to get to know people on a personal level at socials such as a picnic and 5 a side football games.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a lot of support and guidance from my team. As for each project I worked on I was given a detailed background on the client and provided with clear instructions for my tasks. I was also provided with guidance on how to get the most out of the internship by a buddy and a counsellor who were both assigned to me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis, there was a good balance. I was given a variety of tasks to complete which kept me busy throughout the internship. I did not feel overwhelmed by the work that I was given and I think that I was given the correct level of responsibility for an intern.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given more responsibility as the internship programme went on. For example, I helped prepare tax returns for review, I worked on tax tech proposals, drafted emails which were sent to clients and spoke to HMRC about VAT issues. I also assisted with other compliance tasks to support the team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills which I have developed and the training which I have received will be very beneficial to my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised. It was nice to be given a buddy and a counsellor who you could turn to for support in getting the most out of the programme. Also, it was nice that there were socials throughout the programme where there was an effort made for example with the food which was provided. Also, I enjoyed participating in a CSR day and charity fundraising day.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot in me as I attended training sessions, completed virtual training, shadowed senior management in client meetings and learned from my team as I worked on projects.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects are very appealing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I often went for lunch and drinks with the other interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is quite expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London nightlife is good as there are a lot of events going on.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, I participated in 5 a side football and attended a picnic.