1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the work I completed and felt that it was similar to the work that I would be completing on the desk. I was given enough responsibility and was always busy. The intern class were all really friendly and HR was very helpful when I went to them with queries.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
In my first rotation, I completed a project that was used by the members in my desk. It was nice to then chat to them about the work I was doing and my ideas. In my second rotation, my work was more focused on learning the skills needed for the desk and members of the team took the time to provide me with feedback.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This varied with each rotation. My first desk was very busy so it was difficult to get guidance but whenever they were free they were happy to help. My second desk gave me constant feedback on my work, this varied from meetings, commenting on my work or watching my presentations.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had work to complete, but had the flexibility to attend HR events and complete extra activities such as the trading game. On occasions I stayed in late to work longer to complete work. I was happy with the quantity of work I received. Most tasks are not given a set time limit and it’s based on your own judgement how long you should spend on it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
In my first desk I was working on something the desk would use, so I felt a lot of responsibility. Whereas on my second desk the work was more hypothetical so I didn’t have as much responsibility. However, this work was continually assessed so I had to consistently perform well.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt invaluable skills, I feel that by completing the internship I have an understanding of what would be expected of me in a markets’ role, especially for the desks I interned in. I think the skills I learnt are applicable for any university group work or any work environment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The trading floor is a great atmosphere, especially when there is a major news event or data release. The desks I rotated on were very friendly and always providing feedback. Because of this environment I felt confident to network and work shadow with other desks as everybody was very welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Both of my desks had my project/work organised before I joined the desk so I could start straight away. I was given plenty of notice for HR events so that I could plan my working days around this. My desks were understanding if I had any events to attend and offered me flexibility with my work.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In my second rotation, I was always given feedback on my work, this was very helpful for my development as I could continually improve. The first week of the internship was focused on training and getting to know the other interns. I also found having access to a Bloomberg and Citi’s research very useful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate programme is very appealing due to its rotations, having the time to understand the business and functions more is very appealing. This also helps with getting to know more people across the organisation. There is also many opportunities to work abroad and a dedicated associate programme to this.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene among the interns, we would usually meet after work for dinner or drinks. This was usually on a Friday or on the weekends. I also went for drinks with both my desks and my manger on my first desk treated the whole team for lunch.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?