Summer Analyst at Citi

Banking - Investment

5.8/10

Global Markets

I enjoyed the technical nature of my work (rotations), as I learned new things in finance, math and programming. For the most part, I enjoyed my colleagues and the work environment, but the culture between teams can vary a LOT. Some teams were more elitist while others were more friendly and humble.

I felt valued by most of my colleagues, especially during my second rotation. For instance, I got positive feedback directly from my teams for my technical and programming skills and ability to work independently. However, I never got any concrete feedback on the work I did in one team, and at this point I felt or was not sure if they did appreciate my work or me.

It varied. In my first team I did get very little support, maybe because this team was generally more busy. I found it more difficult to reach out to people here and ask for support. In another team that I was in, I got more support, sometimes without even asking for it. One reason may be that the work itself was more technical and difficult. I was also more comfortable to ask them for support as I liked this team a lot more.

Usually I was very busy, my schedule included everything from project deadlines and weekly team meetings with colleagues in other countries to networking events/Speaker series for interns. As an intern at this company, you are here to work hard and get to know as many people and businesses as possible.

I was given a lot of responsibility from day one and my teams put a lot of trust and confidence into me by giving me important and meaningful work. Most of the work and analysis that I contributed with was going to be used later by the business in some way. This gave me a sense of purpose and meaning.

The formal/introductory training was very basic and unfortunately I don’t think I will have much use of this later. But the skills that I developed during my internship (for instance excel, programming) will be very useful for my future career, even if I would consider a career outside banking&financial services.

• There were no perks with this Internship