1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the technical nature of my work (rotations), as I learned new things in finance, math and programming. For the most part, I enjoyed my colleagues and the work environment, but the culture between teams can vary a LOT. Some teams were more elitist while others were more friendly and humble.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by most of my colleagues, especially during my second rotation. For instance, I got positive feedback directly from my teams for my technical and programming skills and ability to work independently. However, I never got any concrete feedback on the work I did in one team, and at this point I felt or was not sure if they did appreciate my work or me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
It varied. In my first team I did get very little support, maybe because this team was generally more busy. I found it more difficult to reach out to people here and ask for support. In another team that I was in, I got more support, sometimes without even asking for it. One reason may be that the work itself was more technical and difficult. I was also more comfortable to ask them for support as I liked this team a lot more.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Usually I was very busy, my schedule included everything from project deadlines and weekly team meetings with colleagues in other countries to networking events/Speaker series for interns. As an intern at this company, you are here to work hard and get to know as many people and businesses as possible.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility from day one and my teams put a lot of trust and confidence into me by giving me important and meaningful work. Most of the work and analysis that I contributed with was going to be used later by the business in some way. This gave me a sense of purpose and meaning.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The formal/introductory training was very basic and unfortunately I don’t think I will have much use of this later. But the skills that I developed during my internship (for instance excel, programming) will be very useful for my future career, even if I would consider a career outside banking&financial services.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?