Intern in RMS at PwC

PwC is a Top Employer

6.1/10

6.7
6.4

Overall, I enjoyed my summer internship. I found all the members of my department, Risk Modelling Services, to be very friendly and welcoming and so I really enjoyed the office culture here. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the technical work as much as I had hoped, however I still enjoyed the opportunity.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 16 roles at PwC

I felt valued by my colleagues as they relied on my work and opinions to inform their decisions. I was also able to speak at team meetings in the presence of senior team members. I was also provided with feedback, as well as asked to provide feedback for two of my managers.

We had 3 one on one catch ups with our career coach. I found this very useful to discuss my progress and any feedback. However, I think that it would have been even more useful had it been more two way - the discussions were mostly how I was finding it, rather than ways to make more of the experience.

This fluctuated greatly during my internship. At first, I was not busy at all and found myself with a lot of time available. However, as time progressed I found myself very busy at times once I was properly put onto projects. I had to stay late a couple of times as well.

I felt that I was given quite a lot of responsibility. During my work I was left to work independently quite a lot, meaning that the work I was producing was not regularly checked. I found this autonomy to be beneficial as I was able to work things out for myself.

The job I have been undertaking will not have any relevance to my degree or future career in terms of content. However, I feel that the softer skills I have developed in my time here will be transferable to my future career, and to a lesser extent to my degree studies.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 16 roles at PwC

I found the general atmosphere to be friendly and relaxed. People were more than willing to give up their time to speak to me about their work and career, which I really appreciated. The social aspect outside of work did seem to be quite variable between the social teams, however.

I think the internship was fairly well organised. The three day induction at the beginning was a great way to meet your fellow interns and feel a little more comfortable ahead of my first day in the office. In terms of whilst we were there, I found it really helpful to have a buddy to ask any questions I had.

I think the company has a lot of appealing factors that would make me want to work for them. The culture is fairly relaxed and supportive. I think that there could be more transparency around career progression and feedback, however overall the organisation has impressed me due to the overall atmosphere and the benefits they offer.

I had to commute from home, which was a 45 minute train journey. This cost me £16.90 a day, which I felt was quite a lot to pay daily for an internship. However, I wouldn't have been able to afford to relocate into London, so I didn't have a choice about the train fare.

I was working in London and so the nightlife is obviously renowned for its quality. However, there were not organised socials to go out with your team from work, which I might have been interested in. It is also extremely expensive to go out in London, so that may have put me off.

There were not any team socials organised during my six week internship, which I was quite surprised about. I could have organised one myself if I had really wanted to, however I did not feel as though there would be a particularly high uptake as no one had really been talking enthusiastically about having one.