1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I applied into a specific workstream and the project I was placed within wasn't in line with what I expected, hence why I didn't find the internship as interesting as I hoped to. There was also little opportunity to learn about the areas I was interested in.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I experienced a range of personalities during the internship. On many occasions I was given general or 'unimportant' work to complete, which was either not used to redone without explanation. Although this in itself is not necessarily a problem for an internship, it would be good to have had reasoning when tasks completed weren't used or changed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During the last week I received various pieces of feedback from everyone I worked with. This was given using a tool used by the company. I didn't especially see it as very effective as I received a wide range of general feedback which didn't allow me to see where my strengths or weaknesses lied.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The work balance was as expected for the internship. On some occasions meetings would run into the evening, or work required meant working into the evening. On other occasions there was a lack of work to complete, but useful learning tools were provided to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Overall I wasn't given a lot of responsibility, although I can see how this would be difficult to do for an intern in the project I was placed within.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I gained useful transferable skills such as communication skills, presentation skills and time management skills. The hard skill I picked up around the project line (e.g. knowledge around the area I worked in) will probably be used less as it was not an area I plan to work in.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Quite tense and work-focused. Colleagues tended to have lunch at their desks and there was a lack of personal conversations had with the people working there. It was also made more difficult by the travel between offices each week, meaning you couldn't see the same people long enough to form friendships.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
As mentioned, I didn't get much experience with other areas within the company that were relevant to the LoS I applied to. Any information I gained was due to reaching out myself to various people across the company. While this was fine, it would have been good to have a session where say a person from each CoP could have provided information. Further to this, we weren't provided with project information until the day of arrival at project site, this would have been good to have in advance.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given access to online learning sites, but then otherwise left to my own to seen training and development. Our emails to L&D teams were left unreplied to.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I personally from the experience I had with the internship would probably not consider a graduate level career with the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Apart from the induction week, there was no opportunity to interact with other interns. This would have been very nice to have.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Fine, most of the time was at client site. This travel and accomodation was paid for but it would have been nice to be notified that there would be travel involved in the internship before finding out on day 1.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?