Software Engineering Summer Intern at Autodesk

Birmingham West Midlands
Computer and Systems Engineering Computer Science Engineering Manufacturing Mechanical Engineering Product Design/Industrial Design

9.0/10

We are now looking for undergraduates that have the talent and ambition to become skilled software engineers. During your placement with us we will ensure that you are challenged and given every opportunity to grow your knowledge and experience with the support of an experienced Autodesk developer.

As part of one of the fastest-growing companies in the CADCAM industry, you will work alongside more than 100 other developers in an environment that is both challenging and rewarding. As your skills develop, you will be expected to work using your own initiative to develop innovative solutions to meet our customers’ demands for software that is faster, more powerful and more productive.

Autodesk is unique among the leading CADCAM suppliers in having an on-site manufacturing centre to test all new developments before they are delivered to our customers. This contains extensive machining and inspection equipment to ensure that your code works as well in practice as it does on your computer screen.

Our staff are our biggest asset and we work hard to ensure that we get the best from each individual and that they get the maximum from us. We offer competitive salaries, flexible working, a company pension scheme, and for permanent staff private medical cover and an annual bonus scheme. We encourage our staff to get to know each other out of the office with subsidized social activities including gym membership and sports clubs.

Responsibilities
Work on real commercial development projects mentored by experienced Autodesk developers Gain experience of working on large team-based software development
Learn how to write robust commercial software
Gain knowledge of the commercial development processes used at Autodesk
Minimum Qualifications
120 UCAS points (2017 UCAS tariff scale) and predicated 1st or 2i degree
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for bright IT, Math's, Physics, and Engineering students for both our ten-week summer internships and our one-year placements starting summer 2020

It was a really good opportunity, and the 2 week training provided at the start of my summer placement helped me get up to the same starting level as the other interns who were perhaps more experienced than me before starting. The company valued me and supported me through completing my work, even when I found parts difficult.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at Autodesk

For software engineering, you get put in a scrum team after the 2 weeks training course as the only intern, and immediately I was made to feel involved and part of the team. Every team member was willing to offer help in their area of expertise and made me feel welcome at Autodesk.

My manager was very good at choosing tasks for me that were important and needed doing, so i got the full experience of working here, but that were also relatively easy whilst I was still learning and then got progressively more complex and interesting. There was always something to be doing to keep busy.

I got to implement changes that were going to go out into the next release of the Fusion360 product. It was great to see the changes that I'd put in show up in the final product, and it really made me feel like I'd done something worthwhile to help the company.

I learnt many new things whilst on my software engineering placement at Autodesk.I learnt to use git, sourcetree, visual studio, c++, c#, Unity and Fusion360. I came with no knowledge of any of the above areas, and the company really helped me land on my feet with the 2 week training program.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at Autodesk

The office was quite quiet, which is good for working, but that didn't mean you couldn't talk to people or ask questions all the time. There is a games room downstairs with a playstation and table football, and free tea and coffee on every floor, so there was lots of time to socialise and relax aswell.

Very well organised, we were taken out for socials to get to know each other, we were sent welcome emails in advance to get us prepared for starting and we were given a 2 week training course before being sent into teams. Someone was always there to show us round and get us settled in.

They invested a lot, they are really keen to get their interns to come back and work for them once they graduate. They provide 2 weeks training and then further on the job training specific to your team. They made us feel welcome and valued as software engineers and people took time out of their day to help us.

Very appealing. Autodesk look after its employees well, providing grants for dental and eyecare, life insurance, you can claim back money for the gym and other sports, the pay is good and the hours are flexible and there is opportunity for progression within the company. They have sites worldwide so you are not limited to staying in the UK.

Autodesk were very keen for us to get to know the other interns, and during my 10 week placement provided 4 intern and graduate socials involving free meals out, drinks and activities such as escape rooms and frisbee golf - all paid for and organised by the company. This was a huge improvement on other companies I have done placements at.

Birmingham is great, it's a very central city like London but without all the downsides like inflated prices. I am from the North East originally and I didn't really notice much of a price difference in pubs etc. I lived in a shared student house as I also go to University in Birmingham, and most years i have paid £368.33 a month excluding bills - but this was for a 12 month contract.

Birmingham has loads of clubs and bars in town, it is a very big city and there is something for everyone. There is a gay quarter with bars and clubs, they have a rock bar thats open all night and often has life music, they have a popworld, other pop and rnb clubs and plenty of fancy cocktail places, and even a pinball bar.