Business Development Intern at Eaton

Leamington Spa East Midlands
Accountancy Auditing/Tax Banking - Investment Banking/Finance Business Analytics Business Intelligence Electronic and Electrical Engineering Electronics Financial Management Human Resources Legal/Law Manufacturing Market Research

8.3/10

I worked in the Cooper Safety Head Office working on merger and acquisition targets we have already acquired one company with the potential for more before my year is up. It is a really interesting role involving all aspects of business including operations, HR, legal, commercial and finance including financial modelling.

Please leave a comment on this question...

In my position I am given large amounts of responsibility and high levels of interaction with senior management. Everyone is friendly and supportive and I see my works effect on the process we are undergoing.

There are numerous training programmes that we are enrolled on throughout the year giving the interns chance to meet up and learn new skills. Within the office environment everyone is always happy to help and any help you ask for is gladly given.

My days varied depending on what targets we were looking at at the time, there were periods where I had to juggle 4 or 5 targets at once whilst in other periods I could focus solely on one target indepth. There was always something for me to do even if it was not an immediate necessity and there were periods of working under high pressure where the whole team had to pull together to ensure the work got done, personally these were the most motivating and enriching for me.

Within Cooper they expect a great deal from their placement students, the responsibility you take on is your decision, the other intern working in my office has almost doubled the amount of responsibility he was given just by improving his work and asking for more and more until he felt he was sufficiently stretched.

Great office environment which allowed for a lot of experience to be gained. Working in head office meant that a lot of the experts worked in my office and everyone always had 5 minutes to talk and pass on their experiences and knowledge

It was never dull, however there weren't that many young people in our office, although the girls often went for meals and to the cinema etc. Other interns at other sites had a much more lively office atmosphere.

Altogether there were 16 interns based across the UK, we got to meet up regularly throughout the year and talked often on the company Instant Messenger. All the training that was run was well organised and extremely useful, especially the excel training.

5 different sets of training were provided including project management, powerpoint and excel, basic accounting principals and commercial awareness.

Currently in the running for a job! Will find out around May time!

The interns organised a couple of nights out together which were really good fun as they were a great bunch.

My particular area was fairly expensive however others lived in much cheaper areas, all of them much cheaper than London!

Warwick University was nearby so there were Student nights as well as going into Birmingham

As mentioned above, meals out, drinks and regular trips to the cinema! I was also able to join a nearby netball team and got some co-workers involved in a charity moonlight walk.