I worked in the Cooper Safety Head Office working on merger and acquisition targets we have already acquired one company with the potential for more before my year is up. It is a really interesting role involving all aspects of business including operations, HR, legal, commercial and finance including financial modelling.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Please leave a comment on this question...
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
In my position I am given large amounts of responsibility and high levels of interaction with senior management. Everyone is friendly and supportive and I see my works effect on the process we are undergoing.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There are numerous training programmes that we are enrolled on throughout the year giving the interns chance to meet up and learn new skills. Within the office environment everyone is always happy to help and any help you ask for is gladly given.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My days varied depending on what targets we were looking at at the time, there were periods where I had to juggle 4 or 5 targets at once whilst in other periods I could focus solely on one target indepth. There was always something for me to do even if it was not an immediate necessity and there were periods of working under high pressure where the whole team had to pull together to ensure the work got done, personally these were the most motivating and enriching for me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Within Cooper they expect a great deal from their placement students, the responsibility you take on is your decision, the other intern working in my office has almost doubled the amount of responsibility he was given just by improving his work and asking for more and more until he felt he was sufficiently stretched.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Great office environment which allowed for a lot of experience to be gained. Working in head office meant that a lot of the experts worked in my office and everyone always had 5 minutes to talk and pass on their experiences and knowledge
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was never dull, however there weren't that many young people in our office, although the girls often went for meals and to the cinema etc. Other interns at other sites had a much more lively office atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Altogether there were 16 interns based across the UK, we got to meet up regularly throughout the year and talked often on the company Instant Messenger. All the training that was run was well organised and extremely useful, especially the excel training.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
5 different sets of training were provided including project management, powerpoint and excel, basic accounting principals and commercial awareness.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Currently in the running for a job! Will find out around May time!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns organised a couple of nights out together which were really good fun as they were a great bunch.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
My particular area was fairly expensive however others lived in much cheaper areas, all of them much cheaper than London!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Warwick University was nearby so there were Student nights as well as going into Birmingham
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As mentioned above, meals out, drinks and regular trips to the cinema! I was also able to join a nearby netball team and got some co-workers involved in a charity moonlight walk.