Experiencing the work done by the various tax teams
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed the internship. The internship provided me with an opportunity to gain considerable technical experience in addition to gaining professional experience of working in an office. By moving around the different tax teams, I also got to work with a variety of people who made me feel very welcome indeed.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At all times I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. By moving around the different teams, I got to work with a wide range of people in terms of standing in the company (from associates to directors). Despite this, I was always made to feel welcome and my thoughts were always listened to.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
With every task I was given, I was always given sufficient support and guidance by my supervisor. Whether it was by showing me an example or by talking me through the task as I did it, they were always willing to assist me whenever required. At no point did I feel like I was lost.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The amount of work I was given varied considerably depending on what team I happened to be in on that day and also on who from the team was present at the time. As a result, although I usually had enough work to keep my busy throughout the day, there were several occasions were found myself with little or nothing to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility during my placement. When I was given a task, I was usually entrusted to complete it on my own, although my work would always be reviewed upon completion by a more senior member of my team. I was also responsible for arranging my own catch ups and meetings.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Overall, I believe the skills I developed throughout the internship will assist me a lot in my degree studies and beyond. As part of my degree, I am due to complete a module in taxation and I hope that my experience and knowledge of working in tax will help me considerably.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Overall, the general atmosphere in the office was a positive one. The atmosphere was professional at all times but there was also a light-hearted side to things which I enjoyed. This atmosphere made it easy for me to relax and allowed me to settle in easily as I moved throughout the teams.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised throughout. From the induction event, to arriving in the office everything had been well planned in advance. At no point was I left unsure of what was happening although there was perhaps an over-saturation of information when it came to leaving and sometimes different sources conflicting information.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested heavily in training and development including the induction which provided us with presentations concerning all forms of tax, preparing us for our work in the office. In the office there was regular catch ups with our careers coach in order to provide us with guidance and evaluate our progress throughout the internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
To me, the future employment prospects are extremely appealing to the extent where if I was given the opportunity to join on a permanent basis, I would have no hesitation. As I hope to complete my professional qualifications, the support offered by the firm would also be extremely appealing to me.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene amongst my fellow interns. The induction at Beaumont House allowed us to get to know each other before we entered the office which helped a lot. We usually went for lunch together and also tried to organise things for outside work hours along with our colleagues from the tech consulting line of service.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home so the cost of living was practically nil. The cost of travel and socialising however was quite reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was good although I wasn't able to experience it too often
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, we were often emailed invitations to events outside the office such as football