1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship; I met a wide range of people from offices all over the UK and experienced commuting and working on client site. I was able to increase my knowledge and understanding of the technologies used within the firm by getting hands-on experience joining a transformation project.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my colleagues; being on client site could have been a fairly lonely experience but everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, both in the office and after work, by inviting me out for meals and to social events to ensure I was never bored or alone.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My management/supervisors were all extremely supportive and friendly. There was always someone there to ask for help or advice, no matter how insignificant the question seemed. My buddy was extremely friendly and always there for me to check on my progress, see how I was doing and answer any questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I thoroughly enjoyed getting involved in a project on client site; there was always something for me to do, such as shadowing, attending and taking notes in meetings, and learning how to use the technology in order to be able to help with the design and other specific parts of the project.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot more responsibility than I had expected; after having learnt the technology used within the project, I was given tasks to complete that were actually needed within the project. This made me feel valued as a member of the team. I was required to take notes in meetings to then summarise, which were also important for the project.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe that I have developed many skills and also learnt new technical skills which will definitely assist me in my degree studies and beyond. Skills such as working effectively in a team, good time management, problem solving and both flexibility and adaptability are skills which will always be useful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In both my base office and the office I worked in on client site the atmosphere was generally fairly relaxed and friendly, allowing me to feel both at ease and focused. There was always someone to ask for help or guidance if I needed it, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My internship was very well organised; I thoroughly enjoyed the induction week, and afterwards I knew where I was working each week and what I needed to be doing. If I was ever unsure, I knew who to ask. I was shown how to book my travel and accommodation each week to ensure that everything was well organised in advance.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I believe I was well supported by the firm throughout my internship to assist in my personal training and development; I was able to achieve and build upon my goals established at the beginning of the internship with the help of my managers and project team. I have learnt new technical skills and developed many personal skills.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are very appealing within this organisation; everyone is very friendly and welcoming, there is a good social side as well as a very good work ethic, there are a lot of opportunities for growth and development, there are travel opportunities and the firm allows its employees flexibility.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was a very good social scene amongst both my fellow interns and colleagues. When on client site, I enjoyed company events after work and having meals with my colleagues. When in the office at home, I enjoyed spending time after work with the other interns and sharing our different experiences of the internship.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
In my base office location the cost of living and socialising was as expected, but on client site it was slightly more but still very manageable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In my base office location the Nightlife was great, whereas on client site I didn't really get to experience it!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, there were many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work; on client site I enjoyed taking part in company events and team meals.