1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my time at American Express immensely, it was extremely insightful for my technical and personal development. Everyone at the office was extremely kind and willing to help with any problems that I had encountered here.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the office was willing to help with anything that I had issues with. I would send them a message asking for help and they would be willing to come and help.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The guidance and support given to me by my supervisors were immensely helpful and were always willing to set up meetings if my team didn't quite understand something, whether that would be something technical or something to do with the project itself.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Everyday, I always felt that I had an agenda that I had to have completed by the end of the day or next couple of days. Whenever I felt that I was lacking in work to do, there was always something that someone was having trouble with that I could help with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was placed in a team of 6 other interns and we were responsible for our own development of our application. We had help from a lot of people, but ultimately, my group was solely responsible for the drive and development of our application.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I had learnt so much about learning new technical skills such as new programming languages and libraries that I could use to aid the development of my team's project application.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very welcoming, there's a glass ceiling that lets in natural light so the office does not feel too confined. Plenty of amenities in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship had a very good structure, we were well equipped with the knowledge we needed to know at the start of the internship and continuously had activities with the rest of the interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We could ask anyone on anything that we needed, there was a lot of people that were willing to meet with us and have demos.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Extremely appealing, the atmosphere and the employees that work in American Express are amazing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a very good social culture among fellow interns and graduates.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Many events that us, the interns, had set up for ourselves as well as events organised by American Express themselves.