1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship was very enjoyable, with plenty of events throughout the 10 weeks to keep things interesting.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They really take into consideration your thoughts and opinions, valuing your contribution to discussions and taking action based on your feedback.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone here is super supportive and approachable, always providing help when needed or pointing you to the right person for the job.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
For the first couple of weeks I was busy with mandatory training, admin settings etc. However, I had plenty of work to do everyday, never a moment where I was just sitting there not knowing what to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot. We were trusted to take on a project completely from scratch, having to come up with the architectural design and diagrams. We also had lots of meetings with product owners and designers to ensure that we are developing the software to meet their needs. We were also given some freedom to choose certain technologies to work with.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a whole lot throughout the 10 weeks I spent here, from working in Agile, learning a lot about user experience design, unit testing with Jest, more experience with React and lots of other internal tools that are surely transferable to not only my studies but also beyond that.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very relaxed, chilled atmosphere. You don't feel any stress here. Good vibes only. Amex culture is fantastic.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I'd say it is pretty well organised, with plenty of events taking place both in Brighton and London as well with was really fun.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
It seems like the company really cares for their employees' personal and professional growth. They provide access the lots of internal courses as well as a Pluralsight subscription which was very beneficial. A lot of sessions were held as well about various different technologies.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. I had a great experience here and would love to come back as a graduate next year!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes! I really liked my fellow interns. They were an incredibly diverse group of individuals coming from various different backgrounds and countries.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Decent. I lived in Burgess Hill where the office is located. I would probably live in Brighton though since there is more to do there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not much with regards to nightlife but Brighton offered more options and it was only 10-15 min by train.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes! We organised a lot of activities/nights out between ourselves.