1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I did enjoy some aspects of the internship quite a lot. There were many regular events -- some where social, which were fun to get to know the other interns, and some were talks by various employees, including senior leadership. Overall, I enjoyed the internship as a programme but the work was perhaps not as exciting personally.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I definitely felt like I wasn't being dismissed by anybody, people were very welcoming. Especially my fellow interns and grads were very welcoming and friendly. I wasn't always sure if the work I was doing was so valuable, however in general I felt like a normal colleague similar to anybody else.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was definitely guided by my manager in terms of direction. I was given overall direction a few times throughout the internship, and we had weekly meetings. If I needed some support, I know that I can ask him and he'll give me some support. However, my supervisor was obviously very busy and did not have a lot of time.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was fairly busy on a daily basis. Since I was working on a new project on my own, it was in my hands to give myself work to do in a sense. So while there were plenty of things I could do, sometimes it was difficult when I didn't have any sort of accountability.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility in terms of my own project, in that I had a lot of control of what I could do. However, the project itself did not feel like it was something that was too important -- it was a project that was started by a previous intern, and it definitely did not seem like it mattered that much if it was not completed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was quite relaxed, I didn't feel like it was strict or anything like that. Sometimes everyone was very focused on their own work, so there wasn't much chat, but there were the occasional times were things loosened up and people started chatting some more. I think it varies by team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was extremely well organised. There were many events that were extremely well planned, and there was not any obvious oversights. The programme was full of things to do and nice breaks from day to day work, however this might not be so representative of day-to-day life work after graduating.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Again, the invested in us a lot. There were many talks about various technologies and skills, and in addition the programme was very flexible in that they would provide sessions on any thing that we suggest that we want to improve ourselves in, no matter what it might have been.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects seem very good at this company, mainly due to the large nature of the organisation. There is clearly a lot of different teams and people, as well as different areas of work to go into. Locations do not seem great from a personal perspective, but that might be different for different people.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, as I've said before there are many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work. There was many training sessions and talks, as well as many events outside of work such as social events. There were a definitely a large range, and they were tailored to the feedback that we gave.