1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the workloads I was given and the variation, I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and meeting new people there.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
A lot of my colleagues showed appreciation for the work I did and often said they could notice the improvements I was making month by month. Everyone was very welcoming upon starting my employment and made me feel involved through the whole year as a colleague not just a placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support was given as and when needed, if I was struggling with something I wasn't made to feel shy of asking but there is also the independence of not just getting the work done for you so you are also able to learn at the same time and be able to work out issues on your own.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was always a stream of work coming through but I never felt pressured and to a tight deadline.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Starting off on smaller tasks but within a few weeks (whenever is most confortable for yourself) you start picking up from the same tasks as permanent members of staff.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I had no experience of git from coming from university so I was able to learn from scratch during my placement. Also much further knowledge of things I learned at university and how its used in an actual work environment eg SQL, general coding etc.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office has a happy atmosphere, everyone is very friendly and welcoming and its relaxed so no one feels under pressure.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
TopCashback has been taking on placements for a while so I found the whole process very organised and easy to set up, they were familiar on peoples knowledge from coming from university and were able to cater for this.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Most of the training and development was achieved from the help of other valued colleagues who will happily put some time aside to help you with any issues you're having and to help familiarize you with their work flow/code base. I do think some online training could have been useful to start with.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Happy to cater to your needs where they can in trying out new teams for other workloads etc.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I made some good friends from the placement which I socialize with in breaks at work and outside of work, we also have company wide socials which is good for interacting with the placements from other offices/working backgrounds.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Manchester and commuted in which worked out expensive but Horwich itself isn't to expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There wasn't any nightlife in Horwich really you would need to travel further out to the likes on Bolton, Bury, Manchester City Center etc.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not a great deal of things to get involved with outside of work, some of people played weekly football matches