Placement Developer at TopCashback

Horwich, Greater Manchester North West
Computer Science

7.3/10

Developer for our back end system and website

I enjoyed the workloads I was given and the variation, I also enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and meeting new people there.

A lot of my colleagues showed appreciation for the work I did and often said they could notice the improvements I was making month by month. Everyone was very welcoming upon starting my employment and made me feel involved through the whole year as a colleague not just a placement.

Support was given as and when needed, if I was struggling with something I wasn't made to feel shy of asking but there is also the independence of not just getting the work done for you so you are also able to learn at the same time and be able to work out issues on your own.

There was always a stream of work coming through but I never felt pressured and to a tight deadline.

Starting off on smaller tasks but within a few weeks (whenever is most confortable for yourself) you start picking up from the same tasks as permanent members of staff.

I had no experience of git from coming from university so I was able to learn from scratch during my placement. Also much further knowledge of things I learned at university and how its used in an actual work environment eg SQL, general coding etc.

The office has a happy atmosphere, everyone is very friendly and welcoming and its relaxed so no one feels under pressure.

TopCashback has been taking on placements for a while so I found the whole process very organised and easy to set up, they were familiar on peoples knowledge from coming from university and were able to cater for this.

Most of the training and development was achieved from the help of other valued colleagues who will happily put some time aside to help you with any issues you're having and to help familiarize you with their work flow/code base. I do think some online training could have been useful to start with.

Happy to cater to your needs where they can in trying out new teams for other workloads etc.

I made some good friends from the placement which I socialize with in breaks at work and outside of work, we also have company wide socials which is good for interacting with the placements from other offices/working backgrounds.

I lived in Manchester and commuted in which worked out expensive but Horwich itself isn't to expensive.

There wasn't any nightlife in Horwich really you would need to travel further out to the likes on Bolton, Bury, Manchester City Center etc.

Not a great deal of things to get involved with outside of work, some of people played weekly football matches