Actuarial at HSBC

Actuarial

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.3/10

This experience has been absolutely wonderful and my

I've really enjoyed working with the LC team in Manchester. I've gained valuable insight into relationship management within the commercial bank, as well as the fundamentals of financial analysis and non-financial analysis. I networked well with others and enjoyed learning more about other areas of the commercial bank. My team and I had a very good relationship and I felt welcomed and enthused.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

I felt very valued as an intern. Relationship directors in the LC team took a personal interest in my development and helped me with my target setting and ensured I had a tangible plan in place for the 8 weeks. In addition, my wellbeing was well looked after and my team were very sympathetic when I had adverse personal circumstances.

My manager was really good at providing me with sufficient work and also guiding me through it. He asked my questions about what I had done and always encouraged me to ask him questions about anything I didn't understand. I was also regularly taken out to client meetings and advised on how best to conduct myself at these. There was always someone to talk to for help and guidance.

I believe that the general corporate atmosphere has helped me to engage better with new people, especially those in much senior positions both in terms of age and corporate status. Coming from a scientific background, being thrown into a brand new area of work has strongly improved my adaptability and made me ready to take on new challenges at ease.

The placement itself was a lot less structured than the overall scheme. However, this is because I was simply joining a team that was already in action so this is to be expected really. I helped out where possible and my manager assigned me work where appropriate, so it was taken very much day-by-day, but still a rewarding experience.

The atmosphere was very welcoming and relaxed. The team I worked with was full of great people of all ages and I feel like I got on with everyone really well. However, there was still a very professional atmosphere so work was always the priority. It was a good balance of social and professional behaviour. Support was always readily available.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

The company heavily invested in my personal training by means of the development days, CSR days and the global induction day. I found all of these experiences valuable and enjoyed each one. I found I was able to use the skills I learnt on them on my placement so the investment was worthwhile.

In terms of observation, I feel like I know what to expect when it comes to working in a full time role within LC on a surface level. Obviously, getting to grips with everything takes years so that would come in time.

I've really got to grips with HSBC company culture from the many intern days held in Birmingham. The culture seems very supportive and positive. Also, the intern team made me feel very supportive in times of personal difficulty. HSBC in general seems like they really care about their staff and make sure they show it.

The content of the course has helped me consider financial services in more depth and taught me more about them, as coming from a non financial background I needed to know more. I'm pretty certain about working in this sector now as it is exciting, with good career development opportunities.

I was reimbursed expenses for my train pass everyday and I almost spent two hundred pounds worth of train for to and back . But you know what, I really enjoyed this placement and it was worth it so hopefully when I tell my friends about it they will hopefully join on my behalf and have as much fun as I did.

There were opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company. There were opportunities during the day at work as we mainly did group activities so I could talk to them them and talk to them after as we quickly became close when doing such activities during the work day.

The networking opportunities were great. The employees were really nice and friendly and willing to open up about their own lives which made me comfortable to do the same. Furthermore, the students were also really nice so there was mutual respect and appreciation between us and there was no judgement between us.

I did find out about a few activities that employees can get involved in outside work. However, this was mainly limited to social event such as dinners and parties. It would be nice to find out about activities that are more work-oriented and focused on improving the method of work in the company.

I would definitely recommend this insight as it provides you an insight into how technology is utilised by companies to improve the way they work and make themselves digital. Also, the employees were really nice and friendly which just made the insight much more enjoyable and much more fun, alongisde the other students.