Actuarial at BDO

Actuarial

BDO is a Top Employer

8.4/10

I enjoyed it thoroughly as it was very well planned with different colleagues from various departments coming into the board room to answer any of our questions. Furthermore, I enjoyed it so much that it has convinced me to apply to their summer internship programme. Though it was a bit awkward at the start without knowing anybody it was actually great once we got to know one another.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at BDO

The company made me feel well valued as they were consistently asking if we had any further questions and seemed engaged in what we were saying. They also spoke on the necessity of a variety of skills which weren't exclusively mathematics or economics. I felt really valued to the maximum extent.

The guidance we received was extremely useful, starting from how to apply to the company to how to cope with the exams once we had got through the application process. They made it appear achievable and worthwhile and the company made me feel well valued as they were consistently asking if we had any further questions and seemed engaged in what we were saying.

This is not as applicable as I study English literature and therefore the skills I learnt on the day are not excessively transferrable to my course. However, the information I received will definitely assist me in any future career I have as I feel much more confident with tackling the online assessments.

The insight day was very well structured as it consisted of various components which kept it interesting. I left feeling as though I had learnt everything that I needed to know, as I felt confident that I could successfully get through the application process and I had a good idea which department I would like to go in to.

The atmosphere was really good as we could all sit in one room together. This made it easy to get to know the other attendees. Furthermore, everyone from BDO was really approachable, which made a nice comfortable environment.
Everyone felt very valued and welcome which made the insight even more memorable.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at BDO

The company heavily invested in my personal training by means of the development days, CSR days and the global induction day. I found all of these experiences valuable and enjoyed each one. I found I was able to use the skills I learnt on them on my placement so the investment was worthwhile.

In terms of observation, I feel like I know what to expect when it comes to working in a full time role within LC on a surface level. Obviously, getting to grips with everything takes years so that would come in time.

I've really got to grips with HSBC company culture from the many intern days held in Birmingham. The culture seems very supportive and positive. Also, the intern team made me feel very supportive in times of personal difficulty. HSBC in general seems like they really care about their staff and make sure they show it.

The content of the course has helped me consider financial services in more depth and taught me more about them, as coming from a non financial background I needed to know more. I'm pretty certain about working in this sector now as it is exciting, with good career development opportunities.

I was reimbursed expenses for my train pass everyday and I almost spent two hundred pounds worth of train for to and back . But you know what, I really enjoyed this placement and it was worth it so hopefully when I tell my friends about it they will hopefully join on my behalf and have as much fun as I did.

There were opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company. There were opportunities during the day at work as we mainly did group activities so I could talk to them them and talk to them after as we quickly became close when doing such activities during the work day.

The networking opportunities were great. The employees were really nice and friendly and willing to open up about their own lives which made me comfortable to do the same. Furthermore, the students were also really nice so there was mutual respect and appreciation between us and there was no judgement between us.

I did find out about a few activities that employees can get involved in outside work. However, this was mainly limited to social event such as dinners and parties. It would be nice to find out about activities that are more work-oriented and focused on improving the method of work in the company.

I would definitely recommend this insight as it provides you an insight into how technology is utilised by companies to improve the way they work and make themselves digital. Also, the employees were really nice and friendly which just made the insight much more enjoyable and much more fun, alongisde the other students.