1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship. Everyone was friendly, welcoming and happy to answer any questions I had, making my time at the company even more enjoyable. I was given a variety of work which gave me the opportunity to learn more about what working at the company would be like.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As previously mentioned, all of my colleagues were friendly, welcoming and happy to answer any questions I had. They took time to explain various tasks to me, and gave me feedback on the tasks I had given to them to check, despite their busy schedules. They made an effort to welcome me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Similarly to other colleagues, my team leaders were welcoming and willing to take time out of their day to speak to me at various points throughout the internship. The management was clearly structured, so I knew exactly who to speak to if I had any issues or queries about my work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
For most of my internship I had a good amount of work- enough to stay busy but not too much that it was overwhelming. Even in the more busy times I never had to stay late to finish off work. There were some times which were more quiet which is expected during the summer.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had a reasonable amount of responsibility with the work that was given to me throughout my internship, since the work I did was for real clients. But, the people who gave me the work guided through the processes and were happy to answer questions I had about the task.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a lot of technical skills during my internship through the training and practical work, which I will be able to apply to my jobs in the future. My presentation skills (and confidence in presenting) have improved and I was given useful feedback which I will be able to use for my next presentation
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office was friendly and relaxed because of the friendly and welcoming nature of all the people who work at the office. Since the office is not too big, it was easy to get to know people on on your team. We also had team socials.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall, the internship was very well organised, there was a clear structure. The training during the first week was both professional and useful, and we were each given a reasonable amount of responsibility. We were given a presentation to prepare at the start and a time budget to stick to.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm really care about their employees, so they invested time in the interns through the detailed projects we were given. We also had meetings with our team leader halfway through and at the end to give feedback on how we were progressing. This was particularly useful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The firm really care about their employees, so they invested time in the interns because they want to invest in the future of the company. There was the opportunity to be offered a graduate job at the end of the internship depending on how well you performed throughout your time at the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there was a good social scene amongst the summer students and colleagues. All of the teams at the company were very sociable, we had various team socials throughout my internship, and welcome (and leaving) meals. There was the opportunity to socialise with other placement students and colleagues during the lunch breaks.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Because the company is based in central London, the cost of socialising was very high in comparison to other parts of the country. The cost of living and travel was also very expensive, but he travel links within and around London were very good. (This is unrelated to the company itself)
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in London is good. Because the company is based in central London, the cost of socialising was very high in comparison to other parts of the country. The travel links within and around London were very good so it was easy to get to different places to socialise.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, there were plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work, both with other work placement students and colleagues. This made my experience of living and working in London even more enjoyable and exciting. However, these activities were expensive in comparison to other parts of the country.