1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My team works collaboratively which allowed me to learn how the project develops outside of my role.
Mace's company values and work environment are really inviting to minorities within the construction industry.
I was impressed with the team who organised my placement and the inductions received. We received talks from new starters within mace who shared their experiences so far.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues made sure I could approach them to shadow and learn form them but also ask questions when getting on with my own work. I wasn't given much responsibility but did receive personal projects to work on related to the teams goals.
I was involved with team projects that were already ongoing from before my arrival and was integrated well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given mainly hands off support to allow me the freedom to source information rather than be spoon fed. This meant that I could learn at my own pace and increase knowledge and skills in areas that interested me.
My supervisor trained me with technical skills that I will need to carry out my work and allowed me opportunities to practise these with him.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was busy with the tasks I organised for myself day to day and given bigger tasks to work on over time.
I was never given too much work. Tasks were not too difficult. I was given the freedom to involve myself in whatever interested me. I felt I could've been given more responsibility.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given small responsibilities that my line manager could monitor and support me with. The responsibilities were manageable and encouraged me to work with colleagues to resolve issues that arose. These are tasks that I will need to repeat again in the future so it was useful and relevant.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills, development and training received during my placement will aid me in a integrated design module and my dissertation. As I have more knowledge on how to start a project and work collaboratively within a team. I have also had to feedback what I have learnt throughout my placement and will need to present for both of these modules. I feel a lot more confident going back to university and knowing that I can produce more work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was always very friendly and welcoming to myself. The entire project worked collaboratively so all staff spoke to each other throughout the day. There were regular meetings taking place and the ones I attended taught me about the crossovers of departments where they must closely work together.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation of the placement before I arrived was very well put together. The emerging talent team kept in sufficient contact with me. I was set up immediately on site with my own PPE, my own laptop, login details and online drives. The placement environment meant that I could learn from different departments.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The placement included a welcome event where we learnt about the company goals and a full day induction with information and training. Topics included innovations that mace implement, services for staff and self management.
I also received Working at heights training with site managers and regular technical training takes place on site.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
We were informed of the graduate scheme. I also discussed with colleagues their career routes and developments within mace. This makes me confident in wanting to return to mace as a graduate. It is possible that I can change job roles in the future too if I see it fit.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes, I kept in regular contact with some of my placement colleagues. we had an induction and close event together with a social after organised by mace.
I also invited fellow placement colleagues to my site and was able to explain to them tasks I had undertaken throughout my placement.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is expensive in London.
Socialising is fine.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife is fine.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was invited to drinks throughout my placement, I attended some of them.