Placement Trainee at Mace Ltd

Architecture Construction/Trades Design Engineering Environmental Surveying
Mace Ltd is a Top Employer

8.7/10

9.7

I really enjoyed my work placement. I learned a lot through site visits and getting 'hands on' within the project.

I felt extremely valued by my colleagues and felt part of the team throughout my placement. Helping my colleagues and getting help back from them really enhanced my time and what I learned over the 12 weeks.

I was given great support by my supervisor. He always wanted to help me progress and get as involved with the project as I could which further helped me gain extensive knowledge about the industry.

I wasn't too busy to be bogged down with work and feeling stressed but had a 'happy medium' and enjoyed the work I was doing throughout my placement. I spent a lot of time out on site as the stage the project is at is extremely busy and there was a lot going on to see and begin to understand.

I felt like I was given quite a big responsibility throughout my placement on certain aspects such as managing work areas alongside my supervisors and helping to coordinate works across site.

The skills I have developed during my placement have been invaluable to my studies and my future career. I attended weekly design meetings with architects and clients which will has broadened my knowledge of project design and site layout which is a major part of my degree. The onsite experience I gained was also extremely useful as during the year while I'm in university I don't have much experience of getting out on site and understanding what's going on around me.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the office and out on site my colleagues were all interested in what I was doing and made me feel very welcome. I feel like I have made some great connections in the industry among my colleagues who are willing to help me with my studies throughout the year if I ever need it.

Because I was the only person on placement on the project it didn't have as much structure as I had originally imagined. However, I soon preferred to learn as I went along and worked with a number of different people who all were in charge of different areas of the project, I was able to see more of the project this way rather than being stuck on one particular aspect, I thoroughly enjoyed the way my placement turned out.

Throughout my placement I attended a number of training courses particularly on BIM and I found it really interesting as it is something which I have not really been introduced to before.

Very appealing. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with Mace and would be delighted to be offered the opportunity to complete another placement.

On the project I was working on I was the only person on placement however, I did mix well with the rest of the team and enjoyed mixing with them inside and outside if the office.

I travelled to work from home which was an hour drive, so my cost of living didn't change too much. In the local area there is a good social aspect among my colleagues which I enjoyed.

There wasn't much of a nightlife in the local area however, there were a few local bars which many of the team attended for nights out etc.

The project has lots of sporting outside of work activities such as an onsite gym and cycling club which I made use of and enjoyed as it helped me to bond with my colleagues in an informal manner.