1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My time at Enterprise was tough, however over the year I have developed significantly most of all with my transferable skills. The hours were long but the atmosphere in the branch was great. Be aware of early starts and late finishes but this is paired with great experience in skills such as customer service, sales and account management.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There is a big learning curve at enterprise, but as a new employee the team were more than happy to help me out. As the year progressed and I became more confident and took on more responsibility and good work was very much appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At Enterprise, there is heavy emphasis on employee development, given when you start is a training folder which is used to track progress up until the MQI test. Although this is up to yourself to maintain and make sure that you are on track however management will make time for you if you ask.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were fairly quiet, however if it is busy, you will know about it. I also worked at a special branch which work 'out of hours' until midnight. Busy period during these shifts were often overwhelming but satisfying when completed successfully.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At the beginning, not too much however this was expected as I needed time to learn the business and the rental process along with becoming familiar with all the software that the company used. As the year progressed, I took on more responsibilities such as managing certain administrative aspects including daily tasks and by the end of the year, running shifts, sometimes under supervision, sometimes not.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement did not focus on anything specific to my degree in terms of certain modules or key course material, however I do believe that it provided invaluable development of transferable skills which are key for any role which I may undertake in the future, I believe that my time with Enterprise has improved my employability significantly.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was certainly a great atmosphere in the office, even when it was busy, the banter was great between colleagues.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Being a multinational company, the placement was set up very professionally, this included a full training week before I started which included 3 nights at a hotel to cater for trainee's who were travelling for for the training sessions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The opportunities for training and development were plentiful as there is much room for progression within the company therefore they are always looking for their employees to be eligible more promotion, this is relevant even during a placement as the company encourage training and making the steps to be eligible for promotion before you leave so you can be promoted sooner if you choose to return after university.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are good as almost all recruitment is done internally, therefore there is always room for progression within the company and the salary system is very appealing once you are higher up in the organisation
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There wasn't too much of a 'social scene', mostly due to the working hours contracted + a significant amount of overtime, although there are a large amount of placement students in the company as the internship scheme is very large.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home during my placement so the cost of living was very low. I feel that my personal experience may not be representative.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Again, I was living at home throughout my placement, however I made weekly trips to Nottingham throughout the year, so I suppose it is what you make of it, If you want to go out, make the time.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I did not undertake any activities outside of work as I spent most of my time at work, and used the spare time I did have to either see my other half or relax