I had to produce the financial statements for the business as well as assisting my branches with accounting queries and managing accounts
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Extremely enjoyed - learnt a lot and made amazing friends!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued - didn’t feel like an intern at all, just a regular member of the team
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support when needed work and personal related
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Depending on the time of the month but there was always something to do and days were busy usually
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot of responsibility
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I put a lot of the things I learnt at university in to practice which made me understand it more and I can apply this in final year
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I believe there was always a good atmosphere in the office. Everyone was always having fun and a laugh but still getting their work done at the same time. It helped that everyone got on really well outside and inside of work. I have made friends for life from the team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think it was very organised but this is due to having the same responsibility as everyone else in the team so not much really needed to be organised! In terms of the recruitment for it, it was very well set up. I never had any problems with this at all
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I believe that the company did invest in me in terms of training but it could have been improved only due to the development in the accounts department being quite slow. I would have liked to have developed more and completed more stage tests which I pushed for but due to turnover of staff this couldn’t really happen.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am interested to go back to the accounts department but it all depends as to progress I would have to keep moving groups. At the minute, I don’t have anything holding me back and am very flexible so it wouldn’t be an issue but looking at the future in 4/5 years this may not be the case if I wanted to think about my personal future of marriage, house and children.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene in enterprise but not amongst placement students. I think placement students should have got to know each other more at the beginning/started together when possible to have someone you know experiencing the same thing. It may also help you make friends for final year as I know a lot attend the same university!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in the head office in redditch so the cost of living was cheap. I only lived here for the first six months of my placement though and then moved back home to commute in order to save money so this does not apply as much to my placement year
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In regards to the area I looked after in accounts, the night life was good and we always had fun on the area nights out. I think everyone looked forward to these!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were loads of opportunities - especially charity events! During my time I took place in a charity sky dive and helped to feed the homeless. I am hoping to take part in more charity events whilst working part time at enterprise too such as suited for success and others