KPMG Audit Vacation Student at KPMG

KPMG is a Top Employer

8.5/10

I had a really enjoyable time at KPMG. I managed to meet some other interns on the first day who I stayed in contact with throughout the vacation scheme. Additionally, all of the people I met in my department were so friendly and we ended up having a lot of fun on client site !

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at KPMG

The department made me feel so welcome, I even featured in the weekly newsletter (twice!). I didn’t really know what to expect before I started but I was given a lot more responsibility than I thought I would be - often completing E1 level work and dealing with the clients directly.

I went into the scheme not knowing a whole lot about what the department specifically did. The way the scheme was structured by my PM meant that I eased into the work- starting mainly in the office before spending two weeks on client site and then ending in the office again.

The vacation scheme I did was not that linked to my degree - I do Politics at University and I was going work in the Audit sector. Therefore, the skills I learnt were entirely new. I know that what I learnt on the scheme will be invaluable in my future studies and career.

The scheme was very well structured. I spent my first week in the office, getting my bearings and mainly working directly with one person. I spent weeks 2 and 3 on different client sites doing much work as a team. I then spent my final week shadowing someone who was in a higher position. The stucture meant that it got more gradually difficult.

The atmosphere when I spent time on client site was really fun. I was in a team of 4/5 throughout each week- which meant that you could really get to know your colleagues in a more laid back environment. It meant that you would all get lunch together as well- which meant that you could get to know people in your department in a more personal way.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at KPMG

Every person I met or worked with taught me something - whether it was big or small. Someone even taught me how to use eAudit- which I was not expecting to know how to use ! I think they knew that for them to get the most out of me they needed to invest time and energy into me too.

I definitely now know exactly what I would be doing if I were to go and work at the firm after University. From the way the IT bar works and how to top up your lunch card to what I would be doing on a day to day basis. I pretty much did the same as most of the grads during my scheme.

I was able to attend a department meeting as it fell on a Friday during my time there. This meant that I was able to gain insight into how the company values CSR and allows employees to do charity work. I also did online training which helped me to understand the company culture.

It really showed me that this is something I want to do in the future, or similar to something that I will do. Everything I learnt was so valuable and I will take it forward in anything I do. If I do not decide to do it in the future, it will still play a part.