1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Greatly enjoyed the placement. Met great people and interns. Helpful manager and mentor. Like the work I was given. I liked the office and canteen area, the working environment was good. I enjoyed being able to work with colleagues in India as it gave me an insight into how international teams operate
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I worked on important scripts to improve devops in the team. These scripts helped to save people time and aid in the development process. I therefore felt valued as the work I did had a impact on the business. Overall it was a great experience to be given work like this :)
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Supervisor, mentor and buddy were very helpful. My supervisor was helpful in guiding me and onboarding me to the systems. Moreover my buddy was always happy to help me figure out how the company works and aid me in more trivial matters. My mentor helped me in how to approach presentations and was relaxing to talk to
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always had work assigned to do so I was always learning and improving. Naturally there were some quiet days but these did not impact my view on the work to any significant extent. Moreover I never felt like I was lost in the work in terms of breadth or depth
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The work I was given was important as I worked on developing a new critical system as well as some more trivial tasks. I was given some deadlines to complete which helped me to learn how to operate under pressure. The responsibility given was therefore more than sufficient in my opinion
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Gained a insight into devops and deployment tools as my team as unique in the fact that deployment was done internally. Got an insight into powershell , a language I as unfamiliar with. Worked on the front end, something I wasn't familiar with which provided a good learning experience which I will incorporate into my group project next year
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Quiet but I prefered this as I like working in silence. Everyone in the office was approachable and I like my area of the office as it had a great view of the Thames :). Moreover there were a few socials in the team I attended which allowed everyone to relax
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
As the team worked on many small system, this made it easier to on board me and find me tasks to do. The support nature of the team meant that I could be given incidents to look at in the event that I was waiting for access requests or had completed tasks.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had several training events. Initially it was training into how banks functions, which was taught really well. I was also given debate training which made me rethink how I approach presenting. Finally we had a cultural awareness session which I think was a bit too long but was interesting nevertheless
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
At this point I am unsure, but I think I have a good chance of gaining an offer
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
there were several social events with fellow interns/placement students. This was great as it allowed everyone to touch base. Even though I am a introvert , I got to meet some interesting people at other universities which gave me a insight into how everyone approaches work and the internship. I would have preferred some more fun events such as darts.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived from home so the cos was low. The food prices here were high, so I chose to eat out rather than use the canteen. Some more vegetarian options would have also been helpful. Being a non drinker also made it a bit more difficult to touch base as the intern events were alcohol only.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not a nightlife person
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Nomura has out of work activities, but I wasnt too interested in them as most were sport focused. I would have enjoyed some more hobby based clubs.