Year in Industry Student at Network Rail

Manchester North West
Civil Engineering

8.9/10

Enjoyed it very much. I was given a lot of responsibility and this prompted me to work harder. The placement had a good mix of office work and site visits and everyone at the company was very friendly. I learnt a lot of new information which I will be able to apply in my final year of uni.

Felt like I was an equal, the work I was given was important and the team were happy for me too approach it however I saw fit. The team were very friendly and we all got along good, this made the placement more enjoyable and helped me settle into the company fast.

The manager would go over what they expected of you and would give you a targets to meet. The first month, they talked you through everything and eased you into the work. After the first month they expected you to be a bit more independent and this was helpful. They were always available to talk if I needed any help with the work.

Had a lot of work given during the year, however it did end up seeming a bit repetitive. Most of the work centred around excel.

But I was able to setup my own site visits once a week. This ensured I gained a varied experience of the company. I was also able to volunteer in different teams.

I felt I had a great deal of responsibility, the work was subject to the same deadlines ad everyone else on the team. I also did a major project completely independently and had to present my finding in a presentation to senior management and this was a very rewarding experience.

They ensured that I gained engineering knowledge during my placement. In the first meeting we identified areas that I wasn't familiar with and my line manager gave me work relating to it so that I could gain more knowledge about the subject.

I also became more familiar with using standards to produce assessments.

Very good. Everyone got a long well the office was very nice. Everyone was working and talking. The office environment was one of the best aspects of the company.

Well organised, they had a structured plan at the beginning of the year and regular meeting to catch up with the placement students prigress.

They let me attend many CPD lectures and I was also given opportunities to gain external qualifications. As well as completing the internal competencies for the company.

With a large influx of passengers expected in the next 10 years there is good employment prospects for the industry.

We all got along well when together, there were regular placement year trips set up by graduates to help us all meet each other.

very low cost of living, I was located in Manchester

Very good, Manchester has a lot of student areas and so I never felt out of place in the city

A lot of volunteering opportunities and I was provided with 5 paid volunteering days