1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my summer internship. It was a wonderful opportunity to gain insight into the industry from renowned experts. It was an excellent chance to network, broaden my experience and gain understanding into less familiar aspects of the job. My confidence and knowledge has improved in a short space of time.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I formed good working relationships with different teams within the firm. I undertook as much work as possible for different team members and my efforts always felt appreciated. I felt very welcome in an already established team and had regular feedback regarding my work. My colleagues made this experience very informative and enjoyable.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I could not have wished for a better supervisor. From day one I felt supported when undertaking work, but trusted to undertake all aspects of the job with minimal supervision. Despite an extremely busy few weeks and being out of the office, she provided as much support as possible, though this did sometimes mean that communication was difficult. I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to learn from her.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was trusted to undertake work for numerous team members, in addition to other projects. As a result, I was busy each day and always sought as much work as possible. However, due to opportunities for which I as extremely grateful to attend outside of the office, the workload given was difficult to complete due to being unable to have access to a computer/necessary software for the majority of my final two weeks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel that I was given a degree of responsibility; completing numerous pieces of work for Director's and Surveyors. I was trusted to meet with clients, prepare reports and speak to contractors on behalf of the firm. Having been in the position for one month, it was pleasing to be trusted with more responsibility as time progressed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This experience has been invaluable in developing my confidence and communication skills. I have learned so much about the industry in a short time and it has provided me with knowledge that will be invaluable for my studies and future career. It was a privilege to learn from the best in the business.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was professional, friendly and welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was extremely organised and very enjoyable.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm provided many opportunities for further training. I was privileged to attend additional CPD, complete research and present my findings to directors.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love the opportunity to work for the organisation in future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I did not have the opportunity to meet other students, but felt very welcomed by my colleagues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost was reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?