1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my summer placement with British Gas. I was given many opportunities to help and even lead in business projects that the company was undertaking. I had the chance to work with different teams and was able to get an insight into how different areas of the business work cohesively together.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were very welcoming and supportive. If I had any queries, they would be more than willing to take their time to patiently explain them to me. Also, I felt like I was a part of my team as we would share our weekly personal updates during team meetings.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors would clock in 1-2-1 catch ups with me every week just to check on my progress on my assigned tasks. If I was not feeling well, they would be more than willing to accommodate me and were very understanding. I was never afraid to ask for feedback for my work as they would be very willing to give constructive advice. this really helped me to build my self confidence and refine my skills.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was very busy as I had to juggle multiple objectives as well as attend meetings. However, I learnt how to effectively manage my time in order to satisfy all my objectives and complete weekly assignments. Even though I was busy, I enjoyed having the different variety of activities to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given quite a lot of responsibility during my placement. I had the chance to lead on a MVP for new content for our website, which was approved and published during my placement. Furthermore, by being proactive, I was able to seek out new opportunities to learn more about the business and had the chance to sit in and capture actions for a new business partnership.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I felt that the skills acquired during this placement are readily transferable to my studies and future jobs. Learning how to adapt and be flexible to unforeseen circumstances is a very key skill when it comes to project management. Furthermore, I was able to refine my presentation skills as I had to make many slide decks to present my work to my team as well as communication skills as I had to explain my ideas.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very warm and friendly. Everyone is really approachable and it was easy to integrate into the company. I did not feel out of place and I was able to make good friends through the placement, not only with the fellow interns, but also my colleagues as well.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised. We had a set amount of objectives to complete over the 10 weeks as well as certain targets that we needed to achieve. During the placement, we had two challenges to complete as well. One of which was a charity fundraising challenge and another one which was coming up with a new business proposition that would help Centrica or its customers reach net-zero carbon emissions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
For the commercial marketing interns, we had many opportunities to learn more about other areas of the business. I had the chance to visit the creative agencies that we work closely with for our above the line marketing campaigns. Furthermore, we had workshops to learn about commercial levers and behavioural economics, which has helped build our commercial awareness.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company does invest in the graduate scheme, offering its graduates the chance to do three different placements in different departments. This would give us a holistic view of the business and help develop many different skills and areas of knowledge. Furthermore, we would have the flexibility to work in different companies, having exposure to both a dynamic and more established business environment.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene amongst my fellow placement interns. We would often watch movies, cook and go out together. I was lucky to make many good friends during my 10 weeks here that I am very keen to stay in touch with even after my placement has ended.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Our accommodation was provided for us so that was already one expense that we did not have to worry about. The accommodation was also situated very close to the office I worked in, making the daily commute a lot easier and cheaper as well. There are quite a few pubs in the area, which offer student discounts.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The Nightlife in the areas is not the best. The closest club is in Windsor and there are not many opportunities to go out clubbing. However, there are quite a few bars in the area as well.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?