1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Was able to get involved with client work from the first week, really felt part of the team. The tasks assigned to me really gave a good reflection of what a graduate at the firm would be getting involved in.
Exposure to both Trustee consulting and Investment consulting with a roughly 50/50 split. Team members were universally helpful and willing to talk me through stuff and explain the broader context.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt well valued; that much of the work I did was for clients helped me feel I was positively contributing to the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The supervisors were always willing to help, equally though they trusted me to manage my own workflow and get tasks done without it feeling I was being micromanaged.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varied, we were given a couple of assessed projects to work on and present aback at the end of the internship - these were helpful in balancing workloads as they could be done flexibly between client work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Lots. Very much an emphasis on having a go at things and solving problems independently, with a supervisor close at hand to help if you got too stuck.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Aside from really valuable Actuarial specific industry experience of both the Trustee consulting and Investment consulting specialties the internship was helpful in developing broader professional skills such as communication (giving team presentations/writing letters), time management and teamwork.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really positive, the building was very light and pleasant to work in and the team atmosphere was excellent.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was a clear programme for the internship, all explained on the first training day. The assessed projects were well explained at the start also.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
For the first 5 or so weeks roughly one day a week would be used for training sessions given by team members, these were really useful in completing subsequent tasks. Team members were always happy to explain a topic or process; developing knowledge beyond the scope of the task.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Excellent organisation with a positive view for the future and a clear path to developing its graduates. I would be happy to work there in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The other interns were a good mix of personalities and we got on well, broadly socials would involve the entire team.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The rate of pay over the internship was enough to live on in a relatively expensive area.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
My office was located in a vibrant city with lots going on.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?